There are those days, some weeks many, that cooking anything, let alone a fresh healthy meal, is the last thing I want to do. I pass by the fast food options on the way home and for a split second I almost drive through. But then I glance at those two little angels (well, most days) in the back and remember that my job is to raise them the best I can. Literally, it’s my job, since I decided to stay home and be a mom. These are the days when having this recipe in my back pocket is a life saver. This healthy and simple meal is a weekly staple for us. We use whatever veggies I can find (mostly what is in season), and our favorite gluten free pasta, but you can always sub in a whole grainversion. It’s a whole family favorite and easy to put together!
Roasted Veggies and Pasta
- 16 ounces of your favorite pasta (I used this pasta)
- 4 cups veggies for roasting (broccoli, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, etc. or those leftover in your fridge)
- Your favorite oil for roasting or veggie broth if avoiding oil
- Himalayan pink salt and ground black pepper to taste
* hint: you can finely chop kale, spinach, chard and mix in the bowl with other veggies and it will roast nicely
- 1 package sundried tomatoes without oil
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes for topping
- Hemp Almond Parmesan
- 1 cup cannellini, or garbanzo beans as an added protein
Baby/toddler food idea: Bake veggies a little longer, then puree for baby or cut into finger food type pieces for toddler. Cook pasta well done and puree with veggies for baby or cut into small pieces for toddler
Preheat oven to 450. Wash and cut veggies into large pieces. Place in bowl with oil or veggie broth, dash of salt, and pepper.
Bake on parchment lined cookie sheet for 20-25 minutes or until veggies are golden brown. It’s okay to have different veggies together since it’s adds a depth of textures with some more cooked that others. If you prefer each one to be cooked exactly then separate and cook each on a different pan. While the veggies are baking, cook the pasta. Toss veggies and pasta together and top with toppings of choice.