This vegan 7 layer taco dip is a must make! Made of healthy ingredients, but tastes just like the traditional version. A crowd pleaser for all types of eaters!
If you have the layers pre-made, or store bought, this taco dip comes together in minutes! Perfect for a party or even as a snack for the family.
This post was originally published on September 9, 2015.
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.
I guarantee that this vegan 7 layer dip will go fast! With the creamy vegan cheese sauce and amazing refried beans, you won't be able to stop eating it!
If you love football and amazing appetizers to bring to parties then this is your go to recipe. I promise that you will not miss the dairy or meat, in fact, the only thing you’ll miss as you’re devouring this is the game!
The key to this vegan bean dip is all the amazing layers. The creamy taco sauce and cheese sauce contribute that extra pinch of satisfaction.
The Unsweetened Cashew Milk by Silk really adds extra creaminess to the taco sauce. I often use water to add liquid to my sauces, but sometimes when I need an extra creamy punch, I love using a plant-based milk.
- Vegan Taco Meat
- Ultimate Cheese Sauce
- Diced chiles
- Easy Fresh Mexican Salsa
- Creamy Taco Sauce or Sour Cream
- Green onions
- Hot pepper
How to Make Vegan 7 Layer Dip
Spread each layer of the taco dip as evenly as possible in the dish in this order:
- Vegan taco meat
- Cheese sauce
- Taco sauce
- Cilantro, green onions and optional hot pepper
What to Serve With 7 Layer Dip
There's no rules that say you can't gobble this up with a spoon, but I highly suggest yummy dippers. Here are some of the best foods to serve this vegan taco dip with:
- Tortilla Chips
- Baguette slices
- Or throw this dip into some tortillas and enjoy as a taco or burrito
- You can transport this in any glass or ceramic dish.
- A large, shallow dish is ideal for scooping up the perfect bites.
- 7 layer dip can be served hot or cold.
- For cold, assemble the dip and chill for at least 1 hour.
- To make it a warm dip, heat the vegan taco meat and cheese sauce before spreading in the dish, then top and serve immediately.
- Another idea is to make this vegan dip in individual glass jars. It is a super cute way to present it and then everyone can have their own jar, which also minimizes double dipping. Haha!
How to Prep 7 Layer Dip Ahead of Time
This Mexican layered dip is simple but can be time-consuming. There are many aspects to this recipe so you need to come into it with a plan. If you follow my tips, not only can you make this fast to assemble the day you need it, but it will also give you some extra dinner ideas as you go!
I like to start a few days before and slowly make a few layers a day. Here is my usual strategy:
- 2-3 days before: vegan taco meat, cheese sauce, creamy taco sauce
- Day before: salsa, chop cilantro and green onions
- Day of: guacamole
Each day that you make a layer, you can use some of the extra that each recipe makes (or make extra if you want more than what will be left) to create another meal. Here are some examples:
- When you make the meat, cheese and taco sauce you can make bowls for dinner by adding some lettuce or rice. Follow these Low Fat Vegan Mexican Taco Bowl as an idea.
- When you make the salsa and chop cilantro and onions, you can make some enchiladas to use those items as well. Like these Easy Vegan Chickpea and Spinach Enchiladas
- When you make the guacamole, you can spice it up and make it a meal with quesadillas. Try this ultimate guacamole recipe to spice up the plain one.
- If prepping the vegan 7 layer dip ahead, store each layer separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Once assembled it's best if enjoyed within 24 hours. Otherwise the guacamole may start to turn brown.
- Make sure to mix in lime juice to your guacamole to avoid it turning brown.
- You can also reduce the browning by placing a layer of plastic wrap directly against the top of the dip to try to prevent as much contact with the air as possible.
You sure can! This will keep for a couple of days in the refrigerator, but it would be best to make it only a day or two max ahead of time.
Depending on the recipe, the layers can change. But there are definitely some similarities. Here are a few options that you often see:
- Meat Layer (we use this whole food plant-based meat recipe)
- Cheese Layer (we use this dairy free ultimate vegan cheese sauce, but you can also use this vegan nacho cheese sauce)
- Salsa (the roasted salsa from my cookbook is incredible, but we also love this fresh mexican salsa)
- Green Chilis or jalapeños
- Guacamole (a simple guacamole works best but this fully loaded guacamole is also delicious)
- Sour cream (we use a creamy taco sauce to spice it all up)
- Chopped Cilantro
- Sliced Green Onions
- Black olives
- Chopped tomatoes
7 Layer dip goes the best with tortilla chips in my opinion! But you could also serve with other things too like crackers, celery, carrots or peppers.
More Vegan Mexican Dip Recipes
Sometimes when it comes to dips, more is more. Here are some other plant based reader favorites!
Vegan 7 Layer Taco Dip
- 2 cups Vegan Taco Meat , see note
- 2 cups Ultimate Cheese Sauce
- 2 cans diced chiles (4 ounces each can)
- 1 ½ cups Easy Fresh Mexican Salsa
- 1 ½ cups Guacamole
- 1 ½ cups Creamy Taco Sauce (can also use sour cream)
- ¼-1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- ¼-1/2 cup chopped green onions
- hot pepper garnish , optional
- Prep each layer.
Use a square baking dish and layer as follows:
- Spread taco meat at the bottom.
- Spread cheese sauce on top of meat.
- Spread the diced chiles.
- Spread the salsa.
- Spread the guacamole.
- Spread the creamy taco sauce or sour cream.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and green onions. Add hot pepper garnish if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips, veggies or anything else you want!
- Make sure to pay attention to how much the recipe for each layer yields and adjust accordingly if you need more or don’t want to end up with extra. I made the whole thing of each and kept extras for other meals or froze them if they were freezer friendly.
- You can sub my refried beans for the taco meat.
- Nutrition facts are an estimate as it depends on which exact recipes you use for each layer.
- Make each layer ahead of time and keep in fridge until ready to put together.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.
Nutrition and metric information should be considered an estimate.
Made this for a party recently and even the meat and dairy eaters loved it! Big win!
The meat sounds like it would also be great in Sheppherds Pie.
Hi Debra! Yes! I bet it would!! Have you seen my other taco meat? The texture is even better on that one!
I think this is the most confusing recipe I've ever seen. Where do the 5 T of cumin go? How about all the other seasonings? The chilies? This would have been much easier to understand if the meat recipe had been separated out and then just link to all different recipes to make the dip. I get your intent to highlight your sponsor and your own recipes and I think this really could taste good but the execution is leaving me confused.
Hi Lorry! Did you get my email? My new recipe plugin messed it up, but it's all fixed now!
I did. Thanks so much. MUCH BETTER!
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you wash the lentils first?
Hi Sandy! There are no dumb questions!! I do a rinse of all my beans but I think it's a personal preference. But it doesn't hurt the recipe either way!
just made this for dinner me and my kids. My 14 year old liked it a lot but not so much the 7 year old. But she doesn't like Mexican food. She still ate it all cause well I made her but I know this will get into our monthly schedule. Thanks!
Hi Tina! Thanks so much for giving it a try! So sorry the 7 year old isn't a Mexican food fan, living in San Diego we eat Mexican all the time so I'm not quite sure what I would do if my kids didn't like it...they'd starve?? LOL! Maybe she'll come around 😉 Thanks for your kind words and happy to be part of your schedule!
Levan @ Crazy Vegan Kitchen
I've always thought 7 layer dips look especially gorgeous (variety in colors, taste and texture!) And this recipe is no exception. Wonderful stuff!!
Thanks Levan! I love all the different flavored coming together here too!
THIS is SUCH a great party dish!!! Why on earth is nobody doing this in Europe!!!??! I shall be the first!
Ha! Thanks Howie! You need to start the trend 😉
I have been eyeing this dip and am very excited about it. The layers sound so inviting. Making this soon - so happy!
Thanks so much Ginny!! It's so so good! A lot of layers but most easily prepped beforehand so when you are ready to put it together it's quick and easy.
Looks fantastic! I make a similar dish, but use textured vegetable protein. I'm going to try this, but can I omit, or reduce the amount of cumin?
Hi Byron! Thanks so much. You can definitely adjust the spices to your liking. My mom hates cumin so I didn't add much when making it for her ?