Amazing appetizers can be filled with wholesome ingredients. This vegan 7 layer dip is the perfect example! Nutritious and bursting with flavor all at once!
This post was originally published on
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.
Super Bowl Sunday is almost upon us. I love football and I love Super Bowl parties! This Vegan 7 Layer Dip is one of my go to recipes for the big day. I’m talking layers upon layers of goodness, with none of the heavy or bloated feelings that can come with heavy appetizers. I promise that you will not miss the dairy or meat, in fact, the only thing you’ll miss as you’re devouring this is the game!
Vegan 7 Layer Dip Tips and Info
This dip is simple but can be time-consuming. There are many aspects to this recipe so you need to come into it with a plan. If you follow my tips, not only can you make this fast to assemble the day you need it, but it will also give you some extra dinner ideas as you go!
I like to start a few days before and slowly make a few layers a day. Here is my usual strategy:
- 2-3 days before: vegan taco meat, cheese sauce, creamy taco sauce
- Day before: salsa, chop cilantro and green onions
- Day of: guacamole
Each day that you make a layer, you can use some of the extra that each recipe makes (or make extra if you want more than what will be left) to create another meal. Here are some examples:
- When you make the meat, cheese and taco sauce you can make bowls for dinner by adding some lettuce or rice. Follow these Low Fat Vegan Mexican Taco Bowl as an idea.
- When you make the salsa and chop cilantro and onions, you can make some enchiladas to use those items as well. Like these Easy Vegan Chickpea and Spinach Enchiladas
- When you make the guacamole, you can spice it up and make it a meal with quesadillas. Try this ultimate guacamole recipe to spice up the plain one.
Can you make 7 layer dip ahead of time?
You sure can! This will keep for a couple of days in the refrigerator, but it would be best to make it only a day or two max ahead of time.
You can transport this in any glass or ceramic dish. It doesn’t have to be heated, so no worry about having to keep this warm.
Another idea is to make this vegan dip in individual glass jars. It is a super cute way to present it and then everyone can have their own jar, which also minimizes double dipping. Haha!
What are the layers in 7 layer dip?
Depending on the recipe, the layers can change. But there are definitely some similarities. Here are a few options that you often see:
- Meat Layer (we use this whole food plant-based meat recipe)
- Cheese Layer (we use this dairy free ultimate vegan cheese sauce, but you can also use this vegan nacho cheese sauce)
- Salsa (the roasted salsa from my cookbook is incredible, but we also love this fresh mexican salsa)
- Green Chilis or jalapeños
- Guacamole (a simple guacamole works best but this fully loaded guacamole is also delicious)
- Sour cream (we use a creamy taco sauce to spice it all up)
- Chopped Cilantro
- Sliced Green Onions
- Black olives
- Chopped tomatoes
What do you serve 7 layer dip with?
7 Layer dip goes the best with tortilla chips in my opinion! But you could also serve with other things too. Here are a few ideas:
- Raw veggies
- Throw this dip into some tortillas and enjoy as a taco or burrito
- A spoon (hey, I’ve done it)
- Fingers (this idea comes to you thanks to my children)
How To Make Vegan 7 Layer Dip
The key is prepping all the layers before hand so that making the actual dip is fast and easy! Here is the order in a nutshell.
- Vegan taco meat
- Cheese sauce
- Taco sauce
- Cilantro, green onions and optional hot pepper
The key to this dip is all the amazing layers. The creamy taco sauce and cheese sauce contribute that extra pinch of satisfaction. You don’t miss the traditional dairy at all!
The Unsweetened Cashew Milk by Silk really adds extra creaminess to the taco sauce. I often use water to add liquid to my sauces, but sometimes when I need an extra creamy punch, I love using a plant-based milk. Like here.
Other great party dips:
Sometimes when it comes to dips, more is more. Here are some other reader favorites!
- Baked Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Healthy Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Vegan Queso Blanco
- Healthy Vegan Bean Dip
- Vegan Mexican Chili Cheese Dip
Ultimate Vegan 7 Layer Dip
After prepping each layer, use a square baking dish and layer as follows:
- Spread taco meat at the bottom.
- Spread cheese sauce on top of meat.
- Spread the diced chilis.
- Spread the salsa.
- Spread the guacamole.
- Spread the creamy taco sauce or sour cream.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and green onions. Add hot pepper garnish if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips, veggies or anything else you want!
- Make sure to pay attention to how much the recipe for each layer yields and adjust accordingly if you need more or don’t want to end up with extra. I made the whole thing of each and kept extras for other meals or froze them if they were freezer friendly.
- Nutrition facts are an estimate as it depends on which exact recipes you use for each layer.
- Make each layer ahead of time and keep in fridge until ready to put together.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.