So mac and cheese. One of the most loved foods ever. When I created my Ultimate Cheese Sauce a few months back, we went nuts for it. And so did so many of you. It’s still my most visited recipe almost every day! It has been a staple around here, from nachos, to pasta, to dips…we eat it nearly every week. It’s so simple and easy to make and I knew I had to make it the star of another show here soon. Enter poblanos. I just die for roasted poblano chiles. They are so flavorful and just all around amazing! Pair them with my cheese sauce and prepare to go to food heaven. This roasted poblano mac and cheese is the perfect use for my creamy vegan cheese sauce.
This is a simple recipe, easy to make and so darn comforting. Had a bad day? Poblano mac and cheese. Feeling stressed? Poblano mac and cheese. See where I’m going? And if the roasted poblanos didn’t quite hook you in, then the creamy sriracha sauce I drizzled on top has to. I’m a spice fiend. I need it to live, like a car needs gas. So when I created this dish, my first bite made my tastebuds whisper “More spice…” So I listened. Into the fridge I went. But I wanted something with a little more oomph than just plain hot sauce. As soon as my eyes laid on my jar of tahini, inspiration kicked in and BAM! Goodness was born. This sauce is creamy upon creamy. Creamy spicy sauce over creamy cheese sauce. I mean, come on…does it get any better??
I know you’ll all LOVE this recipe! As fall brings us cooler weather (everywhere other than here apparently), try curling up with a bowl of this yumminess. I kind of want to bathe in it myself, but a bowl may be the way to go for you all…Leave a comment here and let me know what you think! You can also find me on Facebook or tag me on Instagram in your main comment at both @veggiesdontbite #veggiesdontbite so I don’t miss it. Were you able to keep yourself from eating the whole thing?? I had a really hard time.
- 16 ounces gluten free elbow pasta or pasta of choice
- 1 1/2 cups chopped roasted Poblano chiles about 10
- sprinkle of veggie broth for roasting
- a dash of Himalayan pink salt for roasting
- 2 cups Ultimate Cheese Sauce
- Creamy Sriracha Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Make Ultimate Cheese Sauce if haven’t made it already.
- To prep Poblanos, chop the tops off and slice down one side of the pepper. Open up gently and remove all seeds. This will allow the pepper to roast without getting spicy. However if you want the extra spice then leave the seeds in!
- Turn oven down to 350.
- Once cool, remove as much skin as you can from the peppers. It should come off easily. Don’t worry about getting it all.
- Once skin is off, chop Poblanos.
- Cook pasta according to directions, but cook a few minutes less. Since the pasta will be baking you don’t want it over done.
- Make Creamy Sriracha Sauce if haven’t.
- Drizzle with Creamy Sriracha Sauce and serve!
Tips to prep ahead: Make Ultimate Cheese Sauce and Creamy Sriracha Sauce.
Baby/kid food idea: If your peppers aren’t spicy, serve without the Creamy Sriracha Sauce for toddler. For baby, I left some pasta in the pot to cook until well done. Then blended with cheese sauce and peppers (as long as they aren’t spicy) and served.