Homemade barbeque sauce, protein packed tempeh, tangy cabbage slaw and creamy avocado fill this mouthwatering vegan bbq tempeh sandwich. A quick and easy dinner that doesn’t compromise in flavor or nutrition!
After the success of my Tempeh Gyros, and my trick on getting the bitterness out of tempeh, I wanted to find more uses for tempeh that would help fill the void of those meaty meals we no longer eat. Tempeh has a great texture, and takes on flavors really well. So I paired it with my homemade BBQ sauce to create an easy mid week meal that would please all types of eaters!
You Need This BBQ Sauce In Your Life!
Ever since I created a BBQ sauce for my book, we have had it on hand almost every week. It is super simple to throw together, takes me less than 5 minutes, and it requires zero cooking. The combination of the tomato paste and broth, give it that nice thick texture and the perfect blend of spices and seasonings hit the nail on the head with BBQ flavor.
The thing I love about BBQ sauce, is that it bakes really well. It almost caramelizes leaving a delicious sweet crisp to whatever you cook it with. This tempeh is no exception. Baked together for about 30 minutes, then stuffed into a bun, topped with tangy cabbage and creamy avocado and slathered with more BBQ sauce and homemade ranch gives you a meal that even your carnivores won’t be able to resist.
How to make an easy BBQ tempeh sandwich for your whole family
Like me, I’m sure many of you start the after school dance each day hoping today is the day you’re going to nail it. Dinner is always on the mind, but can easily get pushed off until you realize that HOLY CRAP the kids are behaving like monsters because it is way beyond dinner time. Well, here is a step by step, slam dunk dinner, even your whiniest kid will love (I tested it on mine several times).
- Boil tempeh to cut out bitterness. While this is happening prep the BBQ sauce, cabbage slaw and other sandwich toppers.
- Slather tempeh in BBQ sauce and bake. While this is happening, clean up, assist with homework and make sure the children do not murder each other.
- Build your sammies.
So there you go. There is only about 15 minutes max of prep time and then you let the oven do it’s work. This gives you freedom to do all the other nightly duties that a smooth evening require. You may even have time to prep some dessert, check out these 5 minute brownie batter bites!
More Delicious Vegan Sandwiches and Burgers You May Like:
- Down Home BBQ Burger
- The Ultimate Mexican Nacho Burger
- Butternut Squash And Apple Burger
- Smoky Tempeh, Apple, and Arugula Sandwich
- Vegan Coconut Bacon BLT with Sliced Peaches
This post was originally published on 3/27/14. Recipe has been updated to make it even better.
Barbecue tempeh sandwich. A delicious, easy and flavor packed tempeh sandwich made with homemade BBQ sauce and topped with veggies.
- 1 package tempeh
- 4 of your favorite buns , gluten free if needed
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (this homemade one or store bought)
- 1 avocado
- 4 sandwich sliced dill pickles
- Ranch Dressing , optional but amazing addition (see my homemade one here)
Cut tempeh block in half. Bring a pot of water to a boil, place tempeh halves inside and boil for 10-15 minutes. This removes any bitter taste from the tempeh.
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
While it is cooking, make home made BBQ sauce if not using store bought.
Also, make cabbage slaw by mixing all ingredients together. I like to massage it all with my hands. Set aside and allow to marinate while the rest of the dinner is prepped.
Once tempeh is done cooking, allow it to cool a bit, then slice each block in half again length wise to make thinner patties. You should have 4 squares.
Cover each square in BBQ sauce, you can either dip them in the sauce or use a brush to baste it on.
Place tempeh on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 30 or so minutes, until the edges are browning and crisp. Make sure you turn the slices over half way through. This allows it to crisp on both sides.
While it is baking, warm the buns and prep the avocado, pickles, and make Ranch if using.
Once tempeh pieces are done, assemble sandwiches but placing tempeh slices, toppings, and any condiments on buns. Devour!
- Nutrition information includes the tempeh, cabbage slaw, 1 cup BBQ sauce, and buns. Optional toppings are not included.
- The BBQ sauce linked makes 2 cups. I wold make the entire thing, it can be used in another recipe like these BBQ cauliflower bowls
- The Ranch dressing is an optional addition to this recipe, it really takes it up a notch, plus the dressing is amazing so I highly recommend it.