Want to beat the heat of summer? Swap out those store bought drinks for this blueberry lemonade with hints of mint. Sweet, tart and ice cold!
I've partnered with Huhtamaki Inc. for the Chinet® brand to create this post! Enjoy!
This recipe was originally published on 8/4/16
Anyone else cringe when they go to take a nice long gulp from what you think is a cold drink only to find it luke warm? As a professed sun lover, I need to be able to hang in the sun with an ice cold drink. Is that too much to ask?!
I especially love refreshing beverages and nothing says more refreshing to me than cold lemonade.
Blueberry Lemonade Without Processed Sugar
I love a good ice cold lemonade, but most of them come with so much added sugar your teeth get grimy. I know you've felt it, amiright? And with the kids glugging the stuff like it's water, having it be homemade instead would be amazing.
So I decided to make it happen. Creating a homemade summer treat that we can all enjoy whenever we want is what I call summer success! It's also perfect to serve at parties or Springtime holidays.
How do you sweeten blueberry lemonade?
I decided to use maple syrup since I love the flavor especially paired with the blueberry.
Maple syrup is also a liquid so it mixes in very easily. You can also use a dry sugar, but it would be best to mix it with a bit of warmed up liquid first so that it fully disintegrates into the drink.
How do you keep blueberry lemonade cold?
So we have this delicious and healthier version of our favorite summer drink, but how do we keep it from getting hot and nasty?
- Lug around a giant cooler of ice. Anyone else have more than one kid? I have three. Three young kids that can barely carry themselves let alone help with supplies for a day at the beach or park. Picture five-foot 100 pound me lugging: umbrella, beach bag, beach toy bag, towels, chairs, and a giant cooler.
- Comfort Cup® by Chinet® insulated cups. This sounds a bit easier.
These cups are disposable and insulated. They even have lids that your littles can drink through, or you can easily slip in a straw!
These cups help keep my sanity and allow me to take my children out for a day of fun without worries about lugging tons around. It's one step closer to a stress free day! If there is such a thing with 3 kids.
How to Make Blueberry Lemonade
There are a few different options when it comes to making this recipe, one with a much better end result, but it takes some planning ahead.
My trick is that the ice cubes are the blueberry. So no watery drinks once the ice melts. Instead you get a blueberry mint infusion and an enjoyable cold delicious drink all day long!
- Freeze ice cubes.
- Mix the lemonade and pour into cups.
If you decide to use the Comfort Cup® by Chinet® insulated cups, here are some of my favorite tips:
- Keep ice in each individual cup (no need to carry a cooler), then fill each with blueberry mint lemonade once you reach your destination. Leave the giant drink container in the car and voila! Cold drinks for the day.
- Fill each cup with the lemonade before you leave. Let kids carry their cups filled with a cold refreshing drink around for the day.
- Bring cups along, fill each one at the car and leave the cooler behind.
- While throwing your fun summer party, use these fully insulated cups instead of regular cups. No more throwing away of drinks left to get hot in the sun!
Blueberry Lemonade with Mint
For ice cubes
- 1 cup blueberries , fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves , packed plus extra for garnish
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup maple syrup (see note)
- Blend all ice cube ingredients until texture of choice. Either smooth or somewhat chunky works great.
- Divide mixture into a 12 serving ice cube tray and freeze.
- To make lemonade, juice lemons until you get about ½ cup of juice. I only used 1 regular sized lemon and juiced it in my juicer.
- Combine lemon juice and water in a large container.
- Warm maple syrup to allow it to mix better. Pour into container with water and lemon juice and mix well. If using a dry sweetener, then warm about 1 cup of the water and mix the dry sweetener into the warm water until it dissolves.
- Then pour into the large container with the rest of the water and the lemon juice. Place in refrigerator to get cold.
- Once ice cubes are done, put 3 cubes into each cup, garnish with some fresh mint and pour lemonade over the ice cubes and garnish. As the ice melts, the blueberry flavor will come through.
- You can also use sweetener of choice if you don’t like maple syrup. If you use a dry sweetener, you will need to warm up some of the water and then dissolve the dry sweetener into the water so it mixes better.
- Make ice cubes. Juice lemon.
- Great drink for kids!
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.
Nutrition and metric information should be considered an estimate.
OMG this lemonade looks brilliant! I love that it's sweetened with maple, have to try that! Also, I'm beyond obsessed with the straw in that cup.
Thanks Gin!! Paper straws from Micheals!!
Linda @ Veganosity
I love this flavor combination! Lemon, blueberry, and mint sounds SO good together. Perfect for the beach or the tennis court. YUM!
It's totally great for all that!! Thanks Linda!!
Blueberry lemonade looks so refreshing! I can have this drink on any summer day and stay cool 🙂
Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy
This looks so incredibly refreshing. I bet it would be amazing with some rum or gin in it too!
Haha!! Thank you! I'd go with vodka ?
blueberries in lemonade! jesus, a perfect idea! I would never think about it and its so great!
Ha, thank you!!!
These are the most gorgeous photos ever! What delicious ice cubes!
Thank you so much!!!
You are so right! Nothing better than ice cold lemonade in the summer. Love the blueberry ice cube idea. Perfect
Thanks so much! Ice cold is always the way to go!!
This is a seriously unique and heavenly-sounding flavor combination Sophia. I've felt so dehydrated lately and could use a big glass!
Thanks Alisa! Sometimes it's a nice switch from water!
Blueberry Ice Cubes? LOVE! Thank you for the recipe!!
Thanks Marla!! You're so welcome!!
For reals - lemonade MUST be cold!! Love the blueberry ice cubes in there too! So refreshing!
Ice cold right?! Nothing worse than warm lemonade. Yuck!! Thank you!!
Ah, yes. The battle of getting kids to help carry and pick up - the struggle is real! Haha!! That's hilarious - talk about timing! It was definitely fate that they reached out to you ☺️ We LOVE the blueberry-mint combo (it's actually Willow's favorite kombucha flavor) so I need to try this!! Awesome idea to make ice cubes with that flavor, too. Such a beautiful color!
Thanks so much Mandy! Yes, we live at the beach but I often feel like a camel with all I carry. Lol!
Amy Katz from Veggies Save The Day
I love the color of this lemonade!
Leah M | love me, feed me
I'm in love! Blueberry mint is such a beautiful flavour combo and this is just calling my name. Love the blueberry ice cubes! I could drink this all day everyday.
Thanks Leah! I love that as the ice cubes melt it adds even more flavor.
Ooh I love this recipe! Is it wrong that I want to add a splash of gin to my glass?
It's not wrong at all! Although I'd go with vodka ?
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
Well that lovely combo sounds delicious and refreshing! Anything with mint though is always a guarantee to refresh!
Thanks Rebecca! Yes, I love mint!