This vegan cashew cream sauce is an easy dairy sub. Add walnuts for a unique twist or stick with cashews, super customizable for any recipe!
The key to getting the creamiest dairy sub flavor is cashews. It’s nothing new, and a basic tool in dairy free cooking. You can find this trick used in many recipes for dairy free ricotta and creamy sauces.
However there are other nuts that give you great tasting creamy sauces too, which is good for those allergic to cashews. In all my testing, my second favorite nuts to throw in are walnuts. Walnut cream is tasty on it’s own or even when mixed with cashews, which is the option I give in this recipe.
Almonds are another popular base for dairy free cream sauces, especially in ricotta. In sauces however, the flavor is pretty pronounced so they aren’t my first go to there unless that is the flavor I am looking for.
How do you make cashew cream sauce?
It really is a no brainer, dump and blend. The key to creamy smooth is in the prep and technique. If you want the best of the best dairy free creamy texture, you will fare best using a high speed blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec. But there are other tricks if you’re not there yet.
How to get a smooth cashew cream sauce without a high speed blender:
- Soak your nuts overnight.
- Boil your nuts for 30 minutes.
- Grind your dry cashews into a fine powder using a coffee grinder. This is my favorite option and the one I think works best.
This technique works for all of my creamy sauces. It will work for a variety of nuts as well. Some nuts are harder than others however, so you may need some trial and error.
Step by step instructions for making cashew cream sauce:
It really doesn’t get any easier than this. You simply:
- Dump all the ingredients in a blender, then
- Blend on high for creamy smooth deliciousness.
I mean, I know you can easily just open a carton of dairy cream, but then you’ll get bloated and feel awful so let’s just skip that step and make this. K?
What is cashew cream used for?
You really can sub it for almost anything that calls for a dairy version of cream. Exactly how to use it depends on the original recipe but it’s super versatile! I like to play around with using the walnut cream mixed in too.
Recipes where I use walnut and/or cashew cream sauce:
Vegan Cashew Cream Sauce
- 1 cup walnuts , sub this for 1 cup of the cashews (see note)
- Put all ingredients (except the pepper) into a high speed blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Add more water or salt to get the flavor and consistency you want.
- Add pepper if using and pulse to incorporate.
- This makes a little under 2 cups of cashew cream. Serving size is 1/4 cup.
- If you are not using a high speed blender, there are a couple of options for making your sauce smooth: You can use a coffee grinder to grind the nuts into a fine powder, or make sure to soak your them overnight, or for at least 2 to 3 hours. If you forget, you can also boil them for 30 minutes.
- Add the pepper depending on the recipe you are using this for.
- Be aware that your cream may have a slight purple tint if using walnuts. This is due to the walnut skin that could be on your walnuts. It's totally normal and can come out when walnuts get wet and heated which happens while blending the cream.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.