This chocolate strawberry smoothie has a delicious combo of flavors plus protein for the perfect healthy treat. Bonus is it’s dairy-free!
This post was originally published on March 11, 2015.
I love starting my day with smoothies, but the same old flavors get old. So I threw together this one together in honor of one of my favorite desserts to change things up a bit!
Dessert for breakfast is a delicious way to start your day, but not necessarily the healthiest (not to mention the inevitable sugar crash that would follow). This smoothie gives you that dessert taste and feel, but without all the added sugar!
A handful of ingredients is all you need to make this sweet & satisfying smoothie!
- dairy free vanilla yogurt
- dairy free milk
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- almond butter
- dairy free chocolate chips
How To Make A Chocolate Strawberry Smoothie
Other than its fabulous flavor, the best part of this smoothie is just how easy it is to make!
- Blend everything up.
This chocolate strawberry smoothie can be enjoyed any time of day!
- If you’re enjoying for breakfast, serve alongside these Vegan and Gluten-Free Banana Oat Blender Muffins, Healthy Breakfast Cookies, or Fluffy Vegan Buttermilk Pancakes!
- For a midday snack, enjoy with a side of No Bake Protein Energy Balls.
- Make a complete dessert by serving this smoothie with Easy Vegan Chocolate Truffles, Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies, or Chocolate Chip Cookies.
- No matter what time of day you sip this smoothie, top it off with a dollop of Vegan Whipped Cream!
- You can use plain yogurt instead of vanilla, but you may want to add some maple syrup for sweetness.
- I love adding the chocolate chips for some extra sweet & chocolaty flavor, but you don’t have to include them.
- Sub the cocoa powder for chocolate flavored protein powder for a boost of protein!
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup to take it over the top!
Add in tips
Get an extra dose of nutrients by adding any of the following:
- Leafy greens, like spinach or chard.
- Chia or flax seeds.
- Nuts, such as cashews or walnuts.
- More berries or even a banana!
- Any dairy free milk will work for this recipe, my favorites are almond, cashew, or coconut.
- Frozen strawberries are not only convenient but they give this smoothie its wonderful texture. If you use fresh, you’ll want to add in some ice cubes.
- I used unsweetened cocoa powder as it’s a healthy way to get that yummy chocolate flavor, plus it makes it easy to control the sweetness without a huge sugar rush!
- Prepare this smoothie ahead of time by measuring out the ingredients (except the frozen strawberries) and storing them in jars in the fridge. In the morning, dump into a blender with the strawberries and blend!
- You can also freeze the blended smoothie and re blend it to serve.
Chocolate Strawberry Smoothies are great to serve on Valentine’s Day! They give you that classic chocolate covered strawberry taste in a healthy and filling way.
You can add chocolate flavor to smoothies by adding cocoa powder, chocolate chips, or even chocolate protein powder.
More Smoothie Recipes
If you love easy, healthy, filling, and delicious smoothies as much as I do, add some variety in your life with these other plant based recipes:
- PB&J Smoothie
- Apple Pie Smoothie
- Healthy Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Protein Coffee Smoothie
- Piña Colada Smoothie
- Healthy Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie
Healthy Chocolate Covered Strawberry Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup dairy free vanilla yogurt , can sub with plain but will need to add a sweetener like maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tablespoon dairy free chocolate chips , optional for added sweetness and chocolate flavor
- Place all ingredients into a blender.
- Blend on low until thick and smooth, stop to scrape down sides along the way.
- You can sub in chocolate flavored protein powder if you prefer. Leave out the cocoa powder and if it is sweetened use plain yogurt.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.