Rich, creamy and so satisfying you’ll forget about the rest of the meal. These creamy vegan mashed potatoes have a secret trick that make them next level delicious!
I cannot live without potatoes. Every holiday meal I attend, potatoes is one thing I go back for again. But making a healthy creamy version of the mostly butter laden variety I used to love was a task I had to complete this year.
I had a few ideas on how to get the often boring tasting mashed potato up a notch, because we all know I don’t do boring. Lucky for me, my multiple trials ended in a perfect result. Lucky for you, I am posting it today.
Side note, if you want another rich but healthy and easy side dish, try these smoky maple roasted carrots. I’m not saying you’ll drink the lemon thyme sauce that’s on them, but you might.
How to get ultra rich and creamy mashed potatoes without the butter
Do you all know about my incredible grateable vegan Parmesan cheese? No? Well get acquainted. Because one, it is life. And two, I use it in this recipe.
First, I wash the starch off of my potato pieces before and after I cook them. This helps with soft fluffiness. Then I mix in my secret sauce. Here are its prime players:
- White beans. Yep, extra protein and creaminess.
- My vegan Parmesan cheese. No explanation needed.
- Cashew milk (or almond or whatever).
You take all these and stick them in a blender for a thick heavy cream to die for. Then you whip it into the cooked potatoes and BAM. Instadrool.
It really is that easy. You need to top it off with its BFF, my 4 ingredient caramelized onion gravy, for the next next level of amazing.
My son literally had this for his after school snack and I think I saw his eyes roll into the back of his head.
If hosting this holiday season has you in a tizzy, I have a comprehensive FREE guide on weekly meal planning that comes with a FREE 3 day meal plan and shopping list that will make your regular weekly dinners so much easier. Get it here!
Try these other great side dishes with your next meal!
Rich, creamy and so satisfying you'll forget about the rest. These creamy vegan mashed potatoes have a secret trick that make them next level delicious!
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ cups white beans , about one 15 ounce can (drained and rinsed)
- 1 ½ cups Grateable Vegan Parmesan Cheese , if using my Parmesan double it when making it and also make the crumble version not the wheel because it's easier to use for this (or use your favorite store brand)
- 1 cup cashew milk (can sub another plant based milk if you prefer)
- Ground black pepper , optional for garnish
- Rosemary sprig , optional for garnish
- Serve with Caramelized Onion Gravy
- Cut potatoes into big pieces, rinse to remove some of the starch.
- Put them with the salt in a pot and cover with water. Boil for about 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, put white beans, cheese and milk in a blender and puree until nice and smooth.
- When the potatoes are done, rinse them one more time. Allow them to dry a bit then put them in a bowl with the creamy sauce.
- Use a potato masher, hand mixer or stand mixer to whip the potatoes and the creamy sauce into a nice fluffy mound. Do not over mix or they will become gluey.
- Serve with caramelized onion gravy and optional pepper and rosemary sprig.
- You can use another potato but Yukon gold are my favorite flavor for these.
- You can sub with another plant based milk but make sure it is creamy.
- The portions are for a side dish size.