This vegan potato soup recipe is simple to make and so creamy. It’s comfort food extreme without making you feel bloated and yuck!
This post was sponsored by PB2 but the content and opinions expressed are fully my own.
I cannot explain in words how delicious this recipe is. And the fact that it isn’t filled with heavy cream or butter to bloat me when I’m done is crazy! Get this in your belly asap.
I know it’s hard to believe that such an incredibly comforting soup can be healthy, but it’s true! When you use the right ingredients you can create the most perfect silky smooth, thick and creamy soup without dairy. Then load it up with all sorts of yummy toppings for extra flavor and crunch.
Only healthy, plant based ingredients are used to make up this cozy potato soup. Here’s what you need:
Cashews are one of those secret ingredients that have the ability to make amazingly creamy recipes. But when you’re working with whole cashews you have to soak and blend, which takes time and effort, a hot commodity if you ask me.
Thankfully there is now a magical a shortcut! By using PB2 Cashew Powder in place of cashews, you can make wonderful healthy and creamy dishes in a flash!
The time saving factor is enough for me, but it gets even better! Since the oil is pressed out of the cashews before blending into a fine powder, it has less fat and fewer calories without skimping on protein. And, because the only ingredient is cashews, it’s gluten-free, vegan, kosher, and free of preservatives!
This versatile powder can be used for so many things! It’s great in smoothies, for baking, in sauces (like in this Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta!), and of course in soups. It’s the perfect way to achieve a thick and creamy base without dairy.
How to Make Vegan Potato Soup
Another great thing about this potato soup? It’s easy to make! Here are the steps to take:
- Sauté potatoes, onion, carrots and celery.
- Add broth and bring to a boil, then cover, reduce to low, and simmer.
- Remove 4 cups of the soup, blend with the cashew powder until smooth, and return to the pot.
- Mix well.
- Serve with your favorite toppings!
We love adding extra flavor and texture to this soup by loading it with toppings. Here are some of our favorites:
- Green onions
- Sour cream
- Dairy free shredded cheese
- Vegan bacon, my recipe or any vegan bacon you prefer
- Crushed potato chips
Tips and tricks
In order to make the best vegan potato soup, check out these helpful hints:
- The powdered cashew helps give this sauce a creamy yet lower fat and calorie option. If you do not have it, you can use ½ – 1 cup raw cashews (soaked if you don’t have a high speed blender or powder them using a coffee grinder).
- Adjust the amount of cashew powder to get the creaminess you prefer.
- Red or Yukon gold potatoes are ideal for this soup, but any potato variety may be used.
- Sweet or yellow onion will taste best, other types can overpower the flavor.
- Mix in other veggies like bell peppers, spinach, or mushrooms.
- You can also up the protein by including chickpeas, green peas, nutritional yeast, or top with crushed nuts.
- When taking out the soup to blend, try not to get too many carrots because the soup will end up with an orange color.
- If you like a creamier soup, blend more or the mixture. If you want it chunkier, don’t blend as much.
Sauté potatoes and veggies, then add in some broth and simmer. Once the potatoes are tender, blend up a portion of the soup to make it creamy. See the recipe below for more detailed instructions.
This recipe uses cashew powder along with blending the potatoes to make it nice and thick. Flour, cornstarch, and potato flakes are other thickening agents you can try.
If potatoes are mashed or blended for too long they can become gummy. Only blend long enough to smooth out the potatoes.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
When soup season is in full swing, you need plenty of options to keep things interesting. Here are more plant based soups to try:
- Tomato Chickpea Stew
- Cauliflower Soup
- Tortilla Soup
- Pozole Verde
- Winter Squash Soup
- Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- Mushroom Soup
Creamy Vegan Potato Soup Recipe
- 6 cups chopped red or Yukon gold potatoes , or other type you prefer (about 6 medium potatoes or 2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped sweet or yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- Drizzle of oil or broth to sauté
- 4 cups veggie broth , low sodium if needed
- ¾ -1 teaspoon sea salt , adjust for your preference
- ½ – 1 cup cashew powder , see note
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon pepper
- Sauté potatoes, onion, carrots and celery with a drizzle of oil or broth until softened and fragrant. About 7-8 minutes.
- Add 4 cups broth and salt and bring to a rapid boil. About 5-7 minutes.
- Once it boils, cover, reduce to a low simmer and cook for about 15 minutes until potatoes are soft and can be pierced with a fork.
- When tender, carefully take out 4 cups of the soup avoiding the carrots and put it in a blender. You want to be careful not to get many carrots because the soup will end up with an orange tinge. It will be hot so be extra cautious.
- Add the cashew powder and lemon and blend until smooth and creamy. Add back into the pot and mix in the pepper.
- Serve with toppings of choice!
- The powdered cashew helps give this sauce a creamy yet lower fat and calorie option. If you do not have it, you can use 1/2 – 1 cup raw cashews (soaked if you don’t have a high speed blender or powder them using a coffee grinder).
- Adjust the cashew to get the creaminess you prefer.
- The nutrition facts are for the base recipe only.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.