These delicious and healthy sushi seaweed snacks are bite sized treats perfect for sushi lovers of all ages. So easy to make and customize!
Have fun letting kids put them together themselves. Add a mix and match assortment of fillings to get them excited for creating healthy treats!
This post was sponsored by GimMe Organics but the content and opinions expressed are fully my own.
This post was originally published on August 22, 2018.
Vegan sushi is so easy to make at home and a great healthy meal or snack. Using seaweed snacks instead of larger sheets makes it easier and more fun!
We love filling these sushi snacks with all kinds of ingredients, but these are our favorite go tos:
- Seaweed snacks
- Cooked rice
- Mayo - use vegan mayo to keep this recipe plant based
- Spicy cilantro cream
- Carrot stick
- Celery stick
This recipe uses the awesome seaweed snacks to create roll ups you can fill with whatever stuff you love. (Let the kids fill their own, kids that make their own snacks, eat their own snacks!)
Making real sushi rolls can be challenging with larger sheets of seaweed, but I found that using the smaller sized nori snacks make the perfect bite size rolls.
GimMe seaweed chips have an amazing crunch and are made with healthy ingredients so they are a perfect choice!
How to Make Sushi Seaweed Snacks
This recipe comes together in minutes once the fillings are prepared. Here's what to do:
- Soften the seaweed snack sheets between damp paper towels.
- Mash the chickpeas and divide into two separate bowls.
- Mix the mayo into one bowl, and the spicy cilantro sauce into the other.
- Add the fillings on top of the sheets of seaweed being careful not to overfill.
- Roll the seaweed snack around the fillings.
Customize this seaweed snack recipe to create a variety of flavors, either to serve all together or to switch it up every time you make them.
- Make “crunchy” seaweed snacks.
- Crush up chips and place them in a bowl or plate.
- Use a spoon or your finger to coat the outside of the roll in some sauce.
- Slowly roll the sauce covered sushi snack around in the bowl of crushed chips to coat the outside with a crunchy exterior!
- Use more sauces!
- Try anything in your fridge: hummus, creamy sriracha sauce, soy sauce, salsa, guacamole, and more!
- Try a variety of rice. Sticky white rice is my favorite, but brown rice works too.
- Switch up the veggies. Add mushrooms, zucchini, broccoli, bell pepper, etc.
What to Serve With Sushi Snacks
This seaweed snack recipe may have snack in the name, but they can also be served as part of a larger meal. Try them with:
- Vegan Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins (Gluten Free)
- Crispy Oven Fries Recipe
- Cheesy Vegan Quesadilla with Fajita Veggies
- Oat Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sushi Seaweed Snacks Recipe
- 2 small packages seaweed snacks , any flavor
- 1 cup cooked rice , sticky white works best but brown can work too
- 1 cup chickpeas , about ½ can, divided
- 1-3 tablespoons vegan mayo , or other sauce (depending on how saucy you want it)
- 1-3 tablespoons spicy cilantro cream , or other sauce (depending on how saucy you want it)
- 1-3 extra tablespoons sauce , to coat some rolls and/or dip rolls into when eating (either one from above will do)
- ½ avocado , sliced into thin slices
- ½ carrot stick , sliced into matchstick sized pieces
- ½ celery stick , sliced into matchstick sized pieces
- ½ cucumber , sliced into matchstick sized pieces
- ¼ cup shredded lettuce
- ½ cup crushed chips , optional for added crunch
- Place seaweed snacks in between two slightly wet paper towels and allow to soften for at least 5-7 minutes. Make sure they aren’t too wet or the seaweed snacks will get too soft to work with.
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork, then divide them into two separate bowls.
- Mix in the two sauces, one in each bowl. You can use as many or few sauces as you want, just don’t forget to divide the mashed chickpeas appropriately.
- Take one seaweed snack out of the paper towel, lay onto a flat surface and add fillings of choice. Do not overfill.
- Then roll the seaweed snack around the fillings, it should easily stick together in a tight roll, just don’t overfill. Mix and match filling ingredients to create a variety of rolls.
- Crush the chips if using and on a plate or shallow bowl.
- If you want to make some of the rolls “crunchy,” take a few of the assembled rolls and using a spoon or your finger coat the outside of the roll in sauce. Then slowly roll it around in the bowl of crushed chips to coat the outside with a crunchy exterior!
- These rolls are totally customizable, you can add more or less of each ingredient to make rolls of your choice, and you can also add other ingredients.
- Any kind of rice and beans will work, as will sauce of choice. Even just mixing in your favorite mayo or hummus/dip will work. As the recipe is here, it makes 18 rolls with ingredients equally divided throughout.
- Prepare different filling ingredients.
- This is a perfect kid food starting from an older baby or toddler and up. Allow kids to build their own rolls and get creative!
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.
Nutrition and metric information should be considered an estimate.
Cassie Autumn Tran
I LOVE LOVE LOVE sushi rolls. Spring rolls are great too, but there's something about seaweed that never fails to win my heart! These look wonderful, and I love how snack and fun-sized they are!
Thank you Cassie! Yes! They are super easy to roll and the perfect snack size!
The Vegan 8
These are super cute! I can see why kids would love these so much, they love handheld stuff. I have never had sushi of any kind nor seaweed wraps! Love all those veggies you slipped in there too, yummy and healthy!
Thanks Brandi!! Yes, my kids love them. Finger food is the best! And veggies in side is a plus.
This one is very interesting and unique snack to kids! Never tried before. H
Holymoly! Look at this beautiful recipe design. You're really bringing your blog to the next level, Sophia! Congratz. You're recipe looks scrumptious as always too!
Thank you so much Howie! You are too kind. We are loving these!
We LOVE these snacks in our home and I've never thought to enjoy them in such a fun way. Brilliant!
Thanks Alisa! It's so much fun to let the kids make their own, and fun for me too! LOL!
Mel | avirtualvegan.com
What a great idea and they look so tasty! I would be all over them before the kids got a look in ;O)
Thanks Mel! And I may have snuck a few as we were making them. LOL!
I like snacks that think outside the box. We tend to get stuck in a snack time rut sometimes. I've tried seaweed snacks before, as is, and didn't really care for them, but I definitely like the idea of transforming them into a wrap. I think I would like that much better!
Thanks! They are so good and fun to make! It's pretty much like bite sized sushi!
Sushi seems such fun for kids - not only do you get to make it yourself but you are encouraged to eat it with your hands!
Yes! Any type of finger food is always a go for us!
Igor @ Cooking The Globe
I am not vegetarian nor vegan, but I love these roll ups! They look perfect for serving to the guests. Thanks for the idea!
Thank you! Yes, they are perfect bite sized snacks!
Luci | made by luci
That's a brilliant idea for nori snack packs! Genius! Thank you for the tip about the paper towels too - I blatently would of tried just rolling them dry and ending up with like.. nori crumble 🙂
Thanks Luci! Yes, they are way to dry to do them without a little moisture. But that tad of moisture is magic!
These look fantastic, I have only tried to make sushi rolls once and made a hell of a mess of it 😀
Ditto!! This is so much easier!
These sushi rolls look so good! I have never tried making sushi at home. I guess time to try now 🙂
Thank you! Yes! Much easier this way!
Amy Katz from Veggies Save The Day
I love this Sophia! I'm not a kid, but I love this kind of meal! And sushi is my favorite.
A kid at heart is all that matters!! Plus, these are totally adult finger foods too. Thank you!!
This looks so awesome! Darrol Henry loves seaweed, so I definitely need to make this for him!
Thank you!! He'd love it!!
Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
Such a great idea!! To be honest, I never liked seaweed snack sheets, but using them for mini sushi rolls....that's perfect! I would love that!! This crafty little idea is being locked away 😉
Thank you! They are perfect for mini sushi rolls! SO much easier than rolling real sushi!