Sticky, sweet and utterly delicious caramel apple nachos piled high with your favorite ingredients. You will have no idea this easy snack is vegan!
While we like to add things like chocolate chips, sprinkles and all that jazz, this easy vegan snack can definitely be made more on the healthy side. Make the caramel ahead of time and keep it around for quick use any time!
Vegan Caramel Apple Nachos
I still remember drooling at the site of the shiny caramel apples on a stick you see at fairs and sweet shops…this was a little over a month ago. Just kidding! Kind of. But really, those things are a kids dream and a mom’s nightmare.
Not only were they messy AF, but ultimately one kid will end up dropping it and defcon 3 tantrums will happen. I needed an alternative. Like these easy caramel apple nachos.
What kind of apples do you use for apple nachos?
This is really a personal preference, but I like to switch it up. Because the caramel and many of the toppings are sweet, even a more sour apple works. Here are some different apple varieties listed in their levels of sweetness, starting from the most sweet:
- Honeycrisp- one of my favorite!
- Golden Delicious
- Red Delicious
- Pink Lady
- Granny Smith
How to keep apples from browning
I have seen a variety of techniques out there when it comes to keeping your apples from getting brown, but other than looking a little ugly there isn’t anything wrong with the apple. The brown is just the oxygen reacting with the apples flesh once exposed to air.
Other fruit does this as well, so it isn’t unique to apples. If you really want some tips on helping your apples stay fresh looking, here are some ideas (I haven’t tested most of these so give them a shot and let me know!):
- lemon juice- keep in mind that this will give a lemon flavor to the apples, but this one works the best
- salt water
- leave submerged in water
- Eat Cleaner– a produce cleaning solution I use developed by a dear friend
- cut with a really sharp knife- I heard this somewhere but not sure if it works
How to Make Caramel Apple Nachos
Making caramel apple nachos is as easy as prepping all you need. I like to make the caramel ahead of time, then gather the toppings into bowls and let the kids build their stack taco bar style!
- Make the caramel
- Slice the apples
- Top with all your faves
Caramel apple nachos topping suggestions
- Caramel- duh
- chocolate chips
- melted chocolate
- shredded coconut
- chopped nuts
- dried fruit
- peanut butter chips
- crumbled oreos
- crushed candy like heath or snickers
- crushed pretzels
- m&m like candies
- whipped cream
- 2 apples , cored and sliced
- 1 cup Pumpkin Caramel Sauce , use as much as you prefer (you can also use your own caramel or the cinnamon caramel sauce from my site)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- any other toppings you like
Spread apple slices on a plate.
Drizzle with caramel sauce.
Sprinkle chocolate chips, peanuts, coconut and any other toppings over the top.
- The pumpkin caramel recipe makes about 1 cup so you may have leftovers, but it keeps well in the fridge or you can even freeze it.
Tips to prep ahead:
- Make pumpkin caramel sauce.
- Prep toppings.
Baby/toddler food idea:
- Cut apple slices small and allow them to dip into the caramel