After the Crockpot Lentils success, I wanted to create another delicious, easy meal for all those moms looking to add some health into their weekly dinners. With a Superbowl party to attend, it seemed timely to try my hand at chili on the crockpot. Using the lentil recipe as a guide, I added more beans, changed some spices, snuck in a few more veggies and finished it off with a red pepper sauce. As it cooked, a delicious aroma filled the house and the taste did not disappoint.
Not only is this dish tasty, but it also freezes well! We ate it two nights in a row, the second night turning it into Chili Fries! I used my Oven Fries as a base, topped them with the chili and all the toppings and drizzled on Roasted Red Pepper Sauce (recipe below). My husband loved it so much, he barely said a word as he scarfed it down. Hugely gratifying to prepare one meal that can be used in different ways! Keeps things exciting and allows you to reuse leftovers. This is a good one for families that aren’t fond of leftovers. Take a look and give it a try!
- 1 cup dry lentils (green or brown)
- 1 sweet onion , chopped
- 1 cup any type of winter squash
- 1 cup carrots
- 4 cups veggie broth
- 18 ounces crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ¼ cup white cooking wine
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- sea salt , to taste
- ground black pepper , to taste
- 1 can garbanzo beans , 15 ounces
- 1 can kidney beans , 15 ounces
- 1 can pinto beans , 15 ounces
- diced avocado
- sliced green onions
- corn chips
- Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Rinse lentils and add them to the crockpot.
Add the rest of the ingredients, except the 3 cans of beans, to the crock pot and mix until well combined.
Taste and add more salt and pepper as needed.
Turn crockpot on low and cook for 6-7 hours.
About 3 hours in, add the 3 cans of beans. Cover and continue cooking, tasting for lentil consistency as you go. I like mine on the al dente side.
- Once done cooking, top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Place everything in a food processor, blender or high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
Start with ¼ cup water and add more to reach desired sauce consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings for personal taste.
- If you are not using a high speed blender, you can either soak the cashews over night, boil them for 30 minutes or grind the dry cashews into a fine powder using a coffee grinder (do not boil them for this method).
- With the leftover chili, you can put it on top of my Oven Fries and load it with toppings for another fun way to eat it!
- I used Kabocha squash for this, but any winter squash works. You want a squash that takes a while to cook so that it won't get mushy as it sits in the crockpot.