Cozy up and indulge in this thick, creamy and rich hot chocolate. All whole food ingredients so your body loves it as much as you do!
Hot chocolate, the worlds best indulgence on a cold cozy day. There is so much you can do with it: flavors, toppings, thickness…The combo of ingredients here came as an experiment with making some different types dairy free milk using my beloved Vitamix 750.
Making Pistachio Milk
I love pistachios, and pistachio milk does not disappoint. It’s super creamy with a slight underlying sweetness, which makes it a great base for hot chocolate!
I wanted something thick and frothy with this recipe, so I made the whole thing in my Vitamix. If you don’t have a high speed blender, you can use a regular blender but it may not come out as smooth, thick or frothy. This turned out really rich and indulgent, but without all the added processed ingredients that you usually find in these fun drinks.
Everything here is whole food based, including the date paste I use as a sweetener, but the taste is just as good, if not better! Looking to cozy up? Give this one a try for sure!
More Drinks You Might Like;
- Vegan pumpkin spice latte
- Salted caramel cashew cacoa chunk smoothie
- Layered strawberry chocolate mousse
I always love comments on the blog if you make it, so make sure to let me know! You can also tag me on Instagram at veggiesdontbite #veggiesdontbite so I don’t miss it! Hope you enjoy!
Frothy Hot Chocolate with Pistachio Milk
- ½ cup raw shelled pistachios soaked in water overnight
- 2 cups water
- Soak pistachios overnight in a bowl of water. Rinse. Make pistachio milk by putting pistachios and water into a high speed blender and blending until completely pureed and milky.
- Strain through a nut milk bag or cheese cloth. Add the milk back into your high speed blender.
- Add all other ingredients into the high speed blender and blend on high speed until thick and hot. If you do not have a high speed blender, you can use a regular blender then warm the hot chocolate on the stove top. It may not get as thick and frothy but it will still taste good!
- If you don’t want to make the pistachio milk you can always sub another non dairy milk, however it may not come out as thick and frothy.
- You can also skip soaking the pistachios but I got a creamier thicker milk by soaking them.
- You can use another liquid sweetener of choice as well, instead of the date paste, but you may need more or less depending on which you choose.
- Alternatively, you can add between 8-12 dates, depending on variety and size, plus about another ¼ cup milk and blend well.
- This is a rich and chocolaty drink so cutting back on the cacao/cocoa powder would make it less rich if you want a lighter version, however I used the full ¾ cup. Add more or less date paste to reach your desired sweetness level.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.