This veggie mac and cheese is so creamy and delicious! You will have no idea it is healthy, vegan and gluten-free.
We love a good creamy mac. And when mom can get veggies in without kids complaining then it’s an even bigger win!! This recipe has been in my back pocket for years and I am finally sharing with the world!
When you make your own mac and cheese from scratch you can adjust the ingredients to fit your tastes and preferences. Plus, you can add in extra nutrients by including vegetables. And when veggies are drenched in the most delicious creamy plant based cheese sauce everyone is happy!
The items you need to make this vegan veggie mac and cheese include:
For the sauce gather:
How to Make Veggie Mac and Cheese
Just a few simple steps stand between you and creamy vegan mac and cheese that’s loaded with veggies! Here’s what to do:
- Partially cook the pasta, adding in the veggies before it’s done.
- Blend all of the sauce ingredients.
- Drain the pasta and mix in the sauce.
- Pour into a casserole dish and top with chips and vegan Parmesan.
Feel free to get creative and try different flavors each time you make this recipe. Soft veggies are best so they cook all the way. Here are a few ideas of what you can mix in:
Tips and Tricks
For the best results make sure to check out these helpful hints:
- Red potatoes are best but any starchy potato will work. Avoid sweet potatoes.
- If you do not have a high speed blender you can soak the cashews overnight or grind them into a fine powder using a coffee grinder.
- Adjust the salt to taste. Once everything is mixed together the saltiness in the flavor goes down quite a bit.
- Any pasta will work but small noodles like shells, macaroni, or ziti is best.
- The toppings can be any ratio of chips to cheese, or all of one or the other. Just use about 1 ½ cups total.
- Prep ahead by cooking the noodles and veggies and making the cheese sauce. Then just assemble and bake when you’re ready to eat!
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days in an airtight container.
- Reheat in the oven to re-crisp the top, or quickly pop it in the microwave.
Anything you want! Vegetables like broccoli, mushrooms, and zucchini are great options. Different spices and herbs can also add great flavor.
Standard mac and cheese is filled with fat and calories from the cheese and cream. This plant based recipe uses all whole food plant based ingredients for a much healthier dish.
More Family Friendly Vegan Recipes
Keep both the kids and parents happy with all of these easy plant based dishes:
- Gluten-Free Vegan Sausage
- Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Vegan Egg Scramble
- Lentil Veggie Burger
- Loaded Baked Potato
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Healthy Hamburger Helper
Healthy Veggie Mac and Cheese
- Start by cooking the cashews, potato and onion together by boiling in water. Make sure the water in the pot covers them. Takes about 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F/ 175 C.
- Once everything has boiled, drain and place them with the rest of the sauce ingredients into a high spend blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, but cook half the time. Add in veggies about 2 minutes before it’s done.
- Drain, rinse, and put back in the pot.
- Add cream sauce and mix well.
- Pour into a square baking dish and top with crushed potato chip/Parmesan mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, until the top begins to brown.
- I used red potatoes but any starchy potato will work, just don’t use sweet.
- If you are not using a high speed blender you can either soak the cashews overnight or grind them into a fine powder using a coffee grinder.
- Feel free to adjust the salt for your preference, just remember that when sauce is mixed with pasta the saltiness in the flavor goes down quite a bit, which is why it needs more here.
- Use about 1 ½ cups mixture for the top. Whatever combo of potato chips and Parmesan you prefer.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.