It’s amazing how easy it is to make homemade coconut butter! Not only is it super simple and fast, but you save so much money too.
I love using coconut butter as a whole food ingredient in my baking and desserts, but it is so expensive to buy! Thank goodness there is a much less expensive option that doesn’t take much time.
When I figured out how easy it was to make coconut butter, especially with only one ingredient, I couldn’t understand why store bought is just so expensive! I don’t think I’ll ever go back to buying it again.
Or should I say, ingredient, as there’s only one!
- Unsweetened shredded coconut, but flakes work too!
How To Make Coconut Butter
I cannot stress enough how easy this recipe is, seriously. Here’s what you need to do:
- Put coconut into a blender.
- Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Pour into an airtight container.
- Use in your favorite recipes!
Ways to use coconut butter
In addition to spreading it on toast or just eating it with a spoon, there are numerous ways to use it!
Add it to your favorite smoothies:
Use as a topping on:
Substitute for butter in baked goods:
- Apple Cinnamon Scones
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chickpea Blondies
- Healthy Vegan Cookie Dough
- Ultimate Vegan Date Brownies
Tips and tricks
This recipe couldn’t be easier, but here are some tips to ensure you’re making the best coconut butter ever!
- Using a high speed blender is the best way to achieve the right texture. If you don’t have one, a food processor will work but will take a little longer.
- Make sure to scrape down the sides of the blender and take your time to get the right consistency, it will happen, it just takes time.
- If you don’t have shredded coconut, flaked will suffice but it will take longer to thin out.
- Store your coconut butter in an airtight container. You can keep in in your pantry for up to 3 months!
Coconut oil is made from the oil extracted from coconut meat, whereas coconut butter is made from the coconut meat. Both contain fat but coconut butter also has the nutrients from the coconut that the oil does not.
You can use coconut butter as a spread, for cooking, or as a butter substitute in baking!
Coconut butter is made from only coconut! It’s simply blended until smooth.
It sure does, that is as long as you like the taste of coconut. Since it’s made solely from coconut meat, that’s what it tastes like.
More Vegan Condiment Recipes
Making your own condiments at home has so many benefits. Homemade condiments are generally healthier as you can make them from whole food ingredients, and the flavors are so fresh and tasty! Check out these other plant based condiment recipes:
- Homemade Tomatillo Salsa Verde
- Garlic Aioli
- Vegan Nutella
- Gluten Free Vegan Teriyaki Sauce
- Vegan Buffalo Sauce
- The Best Homemade Ranch Dressing
Homemade Coconut Butter Recipe
- 16 ounces unsweetened shredded coconut
- Put coconut into a blender and blend until creamy and smooth. This may take a little bit, and may need you to stop and scrape the sides down depending on the type of blender you are using, but it will get super smooth and drippy. You can also try using a food processor but it will take longer.
- Use in your favorite recipes!
- You can also use flaked but it may take longer to get smooth.
- This makes just under 2 cups, serving size is 2 tablespoons.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.