This vegan taco bowl is they perfect way to feed all types of eaters with one meal. It’s easily customizable and can be prepped ahead!
This post was originally published on March 8, 2016.
We love tacos and sometimes we love taking those taco ingredients and putting them together in bowls. This is a way to create component meals, which are when you make a bunch of ingredients and allow everyone to put them together how they want! Win win for all.
In addition to being kid and parent friendly these bowls are healthy, delicious, and so easy to mix up to keep things interesting! Make them even easier by using pre-prepared fillings and toppings.
Although these taco bowls can be completely customized, here are our favorite filling options:
How to Make a Vegan Taco Bowl
This meal is too easy to make! Here’s what you need to do:
- Start by loading the bowl with rice, beans, taco meat, and cabbage.
- Add toppings and enjoy!
More filling and topping suggestions
Add extra flavor to your taco bowls or switch things up with other toppings! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Bell Peppers
- Shredded cheese or cheese sauce
- Hot sauce
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Pinto Beans
- Taco Seasoned Jackfruit
- Mushroom Carnitas
Tips and tricks
These vegan taco bowls are so simple to make, keep it extra easy with these suggestions:
- If you use the recipe for lentil walnut taco meat, it makes 4 cups and you only need ¼ cup. Either reduce the recipe, or make the whole recipe and use the rest for future meals.
- Keep the cook time short by having the fillings and toppings prepared in advance.
- Prep extra rice, beans, corn, veggies, etc. and use them to make more meals throughout the week. (Learn more tips on making component meals to keep your sanity!)
- Make it fun and family friendly by setting up a build your own taco bowl bar. This way everyone can fill their bowls with what they like.
Taco bowls also go by the names taco salad and burrito bowls. Whatever you call them, they’re all delicious!
Anything that sounds good! Great options include rice, beans, corn, peppers, salsa, guacamole. See above for a complete list of options.
Add all the fillings to a bowl, load with toppings, and dig in with a fork!
More Vegan Mexican Food Recipes
If you’re like us and can’t get enough Mexican inspired food each week, try these additional plant based recipes:
- High Protein Mexican Pasta Salad
- Pozole Verde
- Vegan Birria Tacos
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Black Bean Enchiladas
- Crispy Potato Tacos
Vegan Taco Bowl Recipe
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups Mexican rice , or use any rice you prefer (use ready made for a fast meal)
- 1 cup lentil walnut taco meat , or any other taco meat you prefer (see note)
- 1 cup black beans , homemade or store bought
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup Spicy Cilantro Cream , or any other sauce you prefer (homemade or store bought)
- Build the taco bowls by putting the ¾ cup cabbage, ½ cup rice, and ¼ cup taco meat and ¼ cup beans at the bottom of each bowl.
- Top with ¼ the avocado, 2 tablespoons salsa, 2 tablespoons spicy cilantro cream and any other garnishes you prefer!
- My lentil walnut taco meat makes 4 cups, so you only need ¼ the recipe. Or make the whole thing and freeze for later use.
- You can adapt these to be whatever you prefer with the toppings and main ingredients.
- The time is for using frozen or ready made ingredients. If you make everything from scratch the total time will be about an hour.
- Nutrition facts are for the main ingredients only. They will change depending on what you use and top it with.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.