Broccoli pesto pasta is a fun twist on the classic recipe. A perfect easy dinner idea that’s filled with veggies and goes with just about anything!
This recipe was originally published on 3/31/14
Traditionally, pesto is made from basil. And it’s delicious. But I’m always looking for ways to sneak more veggies into my kids, the key is changing it up!
And there is no better way to change things up than swapping out greens for new greens. Which is how this broccoli came into my pesto.
Getting in your daily dose of veggies can be tough sometimes, so when I figured out a way to sneak in more I got excited. My kids love broccoli so it’s an even easier to sell when they throw out mean looks to their green covered noodles.
How do I make broccoli pesto?
Making pesto is really about getting flavors you love and blending them up in a food processor. Taste and adjust. It’s the perfect way to use up leftover green veggies before they get thrown away.
Making pesto with whatever green veggies you have on hand is simple.
- Choose your greens– a leafy one is perfect as a blending base, but don’t be afraid to try a few things out.
- Pick nuts/seeds– these add some texture, protein and healthy fats to get us through winter.
- Decide on the oil/liquid– olive oil is amazing for texture but if you want it thinner, add broth!
- Choose your seasoning and blend baby blend!
Is pasta pesto healthy?
Any time you’re blending raw greens and adding them to your food, you’re upping your health game. Remember that not everything with veggies is necessarily healthy.
Blend, taste, adjust the amounts to get the flavor you love, but be careful about your ratios, you don’t want an oil laden pesto.
Can you eat pesto pasta cold?
This broccoli pesto pasta is amazing cold or warm. The pesto itself makes a great dip too! Perfect for parties and a much healthier alternative than so many other dips out there.
Love pesto? Check out all the fun ideas on the blog:
Broccoli pesto pasta is a fun twist on the classic recipe. A perfect easy dinner idea that's filled with veggies and goes with just about anything!
- 16 ounces your favorite pasta
Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until well mixed, adding water or veggie broth to bring the pesto to desired consistency.
Taste and adjust to desired taste.
- You can add more garlic if you like it really garlicy, we love the extra garlic.
- When you are adding the water/veggie broth, add a little then mix and see if you need more. Be careful not to add too much because it will turn out runny.
- This recipe makes about 2 cups, serving size is 1/4 cup.
- Nutrition facts are for the pesto only