Only 20 minutes to a healthy easy dinner your whole family will love! This vegan cheesesteak sandwich is the perfect anytime meal.
This recipe was originally published on 7/11/14
There aren’t many meals you can make in 20 minutes, so when I find one that everyone likes, we make it over and over. Like this vegan Philly cheesesteak sandwich with mushrooms. Even the mushrooms haters love it smothered in some gooey vegan cheese sauce.
Traditional cheesesteak is made of steak, but different varieties have popped up, both other meat based versions and vegetarian ones. I have seen a few different vegan versions out there, but using mushrooms is my favorite of them all.
What kind of mushrooms do you use in a vegan cheesesteak?
I love mushrooms for mimicking the meat base in a Philly cheesesteak because they are a whole food way to get great taste plus extra veggies. They have some protein and when thinly sliced and cooked well, they give a great texture.
There are so many kinds of mushrooms out there, all with slightly different textures. For ease, I use portobello mushrooms in this recipe. They are easy to find and one of my favorites.
Shiitake mushrooms would also work well here, as would porcini or king trumpet. All have a good meaty like texture but are harder to find and can be more expensive.
How do you prep vegan cheesesteak ahead of time?
It’s easy to have this recipe prepped ahead of time. Here are a few tips that will make this already quick and easy meal even faster:
- slice the mushrooms, bell peppers and onions
- chop the parsley and garlic
- make any cheese sauces you are using
Making a Vegan Cheesesteak Sandwich
This easy recipe is done in a few simple steps. It comes together so fast, you won’t believe it!
- Put the fresh ingredients into a pan.
- Add the flour and cook until everything is fully cooked and browning.
- Add cheese if you want and devour!
Toppings for vegan cheesesteak
This mushroom twist on traditional Philly cheesesteak is delicious on it’s own, but adding a creamy cheese sauce makes it even better! Here are some of our favorites
You could also use a store bought sliced vegan cheese to make it super quick. My favorite is Follow Your Heart, Provolone flavor.
A few other things that I have added in are:
- fresh greens, like spinach
- spicy hot peppers like jalapeno, cherry bomb, poblano or serrano
Vegan Cheesesteak Sandwich
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic , about 1 medium garlic clove
- Your favorite oil for sautéing , or veggie broth if not using oil
- 4 Portobello mushrooms , thinly sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet or yellow onion , thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour (see note)
- ½ cup veggie broth , low sodium if needed
- 6 hot dog buns or sub sandwich rolls
- Sauté garlic in a pan using oil or broth until lightly browned.
- Add veggies and cook covered until mushrooms release some liquid.
- Remove cover and add parsley, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add flour and veggie broth and continue to cook until juice thickens.
- Remove from heat and serve in buns.
- Top with one of the cheese sauces or sliced cheese if you want an extra layer of creaminess.
- You can use any flour you want if you aren't worried about it being gluten free. You can also use a starch like cornstarch. If you use a starch make sure to mix it into a bit of broth or water first so it doesn't clump.
- The cheese sauce gives it an extra creamy taste without compromising flavor or the vegan factor. Same with vegan cheese.
- Nutrition facts and cook time do not include optional toppings.
- Slice veggies.
- Make optional toppings of choice.
- Feed baby puree of spinach, bell peppers and mushrooms. Feed toddler the filling (without the spicy peppers) with a spoon and the bread on the side.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.