Only 20 minutes to a healthy easy dinner your whole family will love! This vegan cheesesteak sandwich is the perfect anytime meal.
This recipe was originally published on 7/11/14
There aren't many meals you can make in 20 minutes, so when I find one that everyone likes, we make it over and over. Like this vegan Philly cheesesteak sandwich with mushrooms. Even the mushrooms haters love it smothered in some gooey vegan cheese sauce.
Traditional cheesesteak is made of steak, but different varieties have popped up, both other meat based versions and vegetarian ones. I have seen a few different vegan versions out there, but using mushrooms is my favorite of them all.
What kind of mushrooms do you use in a vegan cheesesteak?
I love mushrooms for mimicking the meat base in a Philly cheesesteak because they are a whole food way to get great taste plus extra veggies. They have some protein and when thinly sliced and cooked well, they give a great texture.
There are so many kinds of mushrooms out there, all with slightly different textures. For ease, I use portobello mushrooms in this recipe. They are easy to find and one of my favorites.
Shiitake mushrooms would also work well here, as would porcini or king trumpet. All have a good meaty like texture but are harder to find and can be more expensive.
How do you prep vegan cheesesteak ahead of time?
It's easy to have this recipe prepped ahead of time. Here are a few tips that will make this already quick and easy meal even faster:
- slice the mushrooms, bell peppers and onions
- chop the parsley and garlic
- make any cheese sauces you are using
Making a Vegan Cheesesteak Sandwich
This easy recipe is done in a few simple steps. It comes together so fast, you won't believe it!
- Put the fresh ingredients into a pan.
- Add the flour and cook until everything is fully cooked and browning.
- Add cheese if you want and devour!
Toppings for vegan cheesesteak
This mushroom twist on traditional Philly cheesesteak is delicious on it's own, but adding a creamy cheese sauce makes it even better! Here are some of our favorites
You could also use a store bought sliced vegan cheese to make it super quick. My favorite is Follow Your Heart, Provolone flavor.
A few other things that I have added in are:
- fresh greens, like spinach
- spicy hot peppers like jalapeno, cherry bomb, poblano or serrano
Vegan Cheesesteak Sandwich
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic , about 1 medium garlic clove
- Your favorite oil for sautéing , or veggie broth if not using oil
- 4 Portobello mushrooms , thinly sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 small sweet or yellow onion , thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour (see note)
- ½ cup veggie broth , low sodium if needed
- 6 hot dog buns or sub sandwich rolls
Optional add ins:
- 2 cups fresh spinach , sauté with veggies
- 2 spicy peppers , thinly sliced, sauté with veggies for spicy version
- Ultimate "Cheese" Sauce
- Mac and Cheese Sauce
- Sharp White Cheese Sauce
- vegan cheese
- Sauté garlic in a pan using oil or broth until lightly browned.
- Add veggies and cook covered until mushrooms release some liquid.
- Remove cover and add parsley, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Add flour and veggie broth and continue to cook until juice thickens.
- Remove from heat and serve in buns.
- Top with one of the cheese sauces or sliced cheese if you want an extra layer of creaminess.
- You can use any flour you want if you aren't worried about it being gluten free. You can also use a starch like cornstarch. If you use a starch make sure to mix it into a bit of broth or water first so it doesn't clump.
- The cheese sauce gives it an extra creamy taste without compromising flavor or the vegan factor. Same with vegan cheese.
- Nutrition facts and cook time do not include optional toppings.
- Slice veggies.
- Make optional toppings of choice.
- Feed baby puree of spinach, bell peppers and mushrooms. Feed toddler the filling (without the spicy peppers) with a spoon and the bread on the side.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.
Nutrition and metric information should be considered an estimate.
Going to make this tonight. Just curious…are you related to FL governor?
Let me know how you like it! And no, not related that I know of. It's my husband's side that has the last name.
Just made this for lunch and really enjoyed it! I've made other vegan steak and cheese before, but I really like how you make a little gravy to the veggies. I also made your ultimate cheese sauce to top it, and served in pita pockets. Yummy! Now just thinking of what to put the rest of the cheese sauce on....
Thank you Emilie! I'm so happy you liked it! Sooooo many things you can put the cheese sauce on!
I’m not a huge mushroom lover but the way these are thinly sliced with all the other veggies makes it really good!
I had this for lunch the other week and it was SO SATISFYING! I featured this recipe in my recent post "30 Portobello Mushroom Recipes in 30 Minutes or Less"! http://vegan.supply/30-portobello-mushroom-recipes-in-30-mins-or-less/ Thanks, Sophia!
Wow thanks Zoe!!! That's so awesome to hear. And thank you for the feature!!
Sophia, this is my first cheese steak and it's phenomenal! Thanks so much, we loved it.
Yay!! So happy you liked it!!
OK so I'm a year and a half late to the cheesesteak party but I've finally arrived! Sophia, this was fantastic! I left out the cherry bombs because we don't like spicy things (I know! We're wimps!) but oh my goodness this came out so perfect! I melted Field Roast Chao Cheese on top and served it on gluten free buns. I'm posting it on Instagram tomorrow!
Hi Diana!!! Ha!! You are so funny. I'm SUPER excited you loved them and with Chao Cheese...OMG! YUM! I'm putting these back into the rotation with some cheese asap! Thank you so much for sharing!
I can't find cherry bomb peppers anywhere 🙁 I found roasted sweet red peppers, and a cherry pepper HOT spread, but I love the sweet ones..any suggestions?
Anyways..I made with the roasted sweet peppers & it turned out GREAT!!!! Thank for recipe
Thanks Kaylee!! Roasted sweet peppers work great! The cherry bomb are just spicier. I've found them in a jar at trader joes before. But not sure if they still have them. I've also found them fresh at Jimbos. So glad you liked it!! Now I'm craving them. Lol!
I am so excited to try this! I've always loooved phillys!
Thanks so much Anna! It's super quick and easy. I bet my new fat free Alfredo sauce would be really good on it too!! Let me know when you try it out!
My husband made this for me last night. Ohh my, it was delicious! I have never had a "cheesestake" before, with or without meat and this was a great place to start. Thanks for the recipe! I will be back for more from you blog.
Thank you so much!! I'm so glad you liked it and hope you find more. Thanks for following!!
To describe these as "drool-worthy" is putting it VERY mildly, Sophia ! I am going to have to buy some buns especially ... What a WONDERFUL recipe : thanks so much !!!!
Thank you for your kind words!! It's a quick and easy one that we love! Enjoy!
Nonono! - thank YOU for this entirely SCRUMMY recipe !