Cauliflower and butternut squash soup perfect for a winter night. Grab a spoon and some bread and eat away! It’s healthy, easy and delicious!
As the weather here slowly begins to cool down, at least for now, I have had more and more cravings for soup. Fall is a great time to experiment with some different flavors because of all the great winter vegetables that are available.
Getting The Most Delicious Produce
As much as possible, I try and stick to the local and organic produce, not only to help support all our local farmers but because it’s also the best way to get the most delicious and nutritious food!
This soup was inspired by one of my favorites…butternut squash. When roasted, this squash gives out some amazing flavors. Because I’m not too much into super sweet tastes in my main dishes, I paired this with cauliflower, for a thicker creamier tasting soup, and added some smoked paprika for just a hint of sweetness instead of the usual sweet spices that are paired with it.
This Squash Soup Was A Huge Hit!
As it turns out, smoked paprika and butternut squash are wonderful together! I love that I can get my salt craving satisfied but still get that hint of sweetness that is naturally found in this vegetable.
I paired this with a sprouted wheat roll for dipping and it was a hit all around! I almost forgot that this soup is totally vegan and so simple to make. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
More Vegan Soup Recipe You Might Like;
- Vegan creamy spinach pea soup
- Mexican tequila lime chickpea soup
- Summer veggie and bean soup
- Greek lentil soup
- 1 medium sized butternut squash
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 large leeks
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- splash of your favorite oil for roasting and sautéing or veggie broth if avoiding oil
- Himalayan pink salt ground black pepper and smoked paprika to taste
- 64 ounces veggie broth low sodium if needed
Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Wash, peel and chop butternut squash into bite-sized pieces. Wash and cut cauliflower into large pieces.
- Place squash and cauliflower on parchment lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with oil (or veggie broth), salt, pepper and smoked paprika and mix well. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop leeks, using only the bottom white portion. Sauté in a large pot with oil (or veggie broth) over medium heat.
- Once they begin to get soft add in sage, oregano, a dash of salt and pepper. Sauté a few more minutes then add in veggie broth and bring to a simmer.
- Once squash/cauliflower mix is done (should be golden brown at the edges), remove from the oven and place it into the pot.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully puree the soup until smooth. If you do not have an immersion blender, you can let the soup cool a bit, then carefully puree it in a blender or high speed blender a little at a time, then add back into the soup pot.
- Once soup is smooth, continue to simmer and add more seasoning to get to your preferred taste. Serve with crackers or your favorite gluten free or sprouted wheat bread.