This roasted red pepper pasta is absolutely incredible. The sauce is simple, yet so flavorful. Prep it ahead of time for an easy meal any day of the week!
I absolutely love this sauce. It is hands down one of my favorite things I have created. So simple but so flavorful. You can use it on anything!
Red Pepper Sauce
The base of this pasta recipe is the incredible sauce. It is made with a few key ingredients that bring it's amazing flavor.
Here are the simple ingredients I used to make this red pepper sauce:
- Roasted red peppers
- Black pepper
Home roasted versus jarred peppers
You can use either one in this recipe, while jarred makes it super fast and easy, home roasted peppers have such great flavor!
How to Make
Here is how to get this recipe on your table in no time!
- Roast the peppers.
- Caramelize the onions.
- Blend everything.
How to serve the sauce
This roasted red pepper sauce is amazing with pasta, but you can also use it for many other things! Here are some of our top picks:
- On a panini or as a spread in a sandwich
- As a dip for anything from veggies to fritters
- With spaghetti squash
- With zucchini noodles
- On lasagna (just sub out some of the marinara)
Mix in ideas
While this dish is amazing on with simple sauce, it would be so good with add ins as well! Here are some of our favorite ideas:
- Vegan Meatballs
- Roasted Veggies
- Vegan sausage or sausages crumbles
- Sautéed spinach
- Simple roasted broccoli
Tips and Tricks
This is a pretty full proof recipe, but here is some info to help you along the way!
- If you want to prep this sauce ahead of time, simple make it and store in an air tight container in the fridge until ready to use. It should last about a week.
- You can freeze this for later use too. I like to put a sheet of plastic wrap right on the very top so prevent ice crystals from forming. Then store in an airtight freezer safe container.
- When ready to use, simple allow it to defrost on the counter so it comes back to room temp slowly.
- This goes with any pasta type you prefer! Simply cook according to package directions, then toss and serve.
In order to roast pepper at home, simply follow my guide all about how to roast peppers. It is simple and easy!
Other than making this amazing sauce, you can use roasted peppers in many ways! Chopped and mixed into salads or quinoa, in sandwiches, with pasta, and in quesadillas are a few ideas.
For this recipe, a blender works better because you want the cashews to be nice and blended smooth. A food processor won't give you the same creamy result. Since there is plenty of liquid, this is an other indication that a blender is better.
Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- ¾ cup roasted red peppers , see note
- 1 cup chopped yellow or sweet onion
- 3 cloves garlic , chopped
- Oil to saute , or broth if you don’t use oil
- 1 cup veggie broth
- ½ cup raw cashews , see note
- ¼ cup rough chopped basil or parsley
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 ounces your favorite pasta
- Saute the onion and garlic with oil (or broth) over medium low heat until the onions are caramelized. It takes about 10 minutes. Add them to a blender.
- Place the peppers into the blender with the onions and garlic mixture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the basil/parsley, into the blender.
- Blend on high until smooth.
- Add the basil/parsley and pulse to chop into the sauce.
- Cook your pasta of choice according to package directions, and serve with the sauce!
- For a fast version use jarred roasted red peppers for this. I like the flavor of fresh roasted but the jarred will also work great. See the post for how to roast your own.
- If you don’t have a high speed blender, soak the cashews overnight to soften them. You can also boil them for 20-25 minutes if you forget. Another method is using a coffee or spice grinder to grind them dry (not soaking) into a very fine powder.
- Cook time reflects using jarred peppers.
- Sauce makes about 2 cups.
- Nutrition facts are for the pasta and sauce. They will change depending on pasta used. I used gluten-free brown rice pasta.
- Make the sauce the day before. It lasts for 3-5 days for best flavor but up to 7 days in the fridge.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.
Nutrition and metric information should be considered an estimate.
Made this the other night DELICIOUS! I used jarred roasted red peppers & left over Ricotta cheese (your ricotta recipe) instead of the cashews and then followed the rest of the ingredients. Turned out wonderful , this is another great go to recipe. I tell everyone I know about your website and all your fantastic recipes. Thank you for all you do 😊
Awesome Deb! So happy you liked it! Thank you so much for your support!
This recipe is IT!
Wow....I dont need any other sauce..ever.
I love that its so creamy and we dont even think of cheese.
Also great for those who dont want a tomato based sauce.
I honestly think I,ll need the leftovers for breakfast
Ah!!! So happy to hear you loved it!! I so appreciate you letting me know!
I made this last night and served it on Butternut Squash ravioli . It was very good!
I am so happy you liked it Ellen!!
I assume the red peppers are measured after they are cooked, so 3 large fresh peppers ?
Hi Rosie! It's 3/4 cup of roasted red peppers. If you want to roast them yourself, I linked my guide on how to roast peppers. It takes about 2 peppers to get 3/4 cup roasted result at the end. Or you can buy them roasted.
This sounds delicious. What could you recommend to replace the cashew? My daughter is allergic to all nuts. Thanks
Hi Cassie! The cashews give it the creaminess it has. You could try using sunflower seeds to gain some back, maybe mixed with some milk or cream (dairy free if needed). Only warning is the sunflower taste may come through. Let me know what you try and how it worked out!
Cassie, my daughter is VERY allergic to cashews also. I made this tonight with 1/2 KiteHill ricotta and 1/2 KiteHill cream cheese and cut back a little on the veggie broth and only used 1/2 the lemon juice. It was fabulous! A big hit in our family of seven.
So happy it worked out!!
I made this tonight for my family and they loved it. My son even ate what little leftovers there were today for lunch. It was delicious. Thank you for the recipe.
I am so happy you liked it Maureen!!
This sauce is so amazing I could honestly drink it! Thank you for posting this recipe, it’s a staple in my meal rotation!
Ha!!! I am thrilled you liked it!! So happy, thank you so much for the great review!
The red pepper sauce was fantastic! I used it one night on quinoa and roasted veggies and it was a hit for the whole family. Had lots left over and used it on chickpea pasta a few days later. Delicious again! Thanks for the great recipe!
I am so so happy you liked it Janna!! I love the idea of having it with Quinoa!
I just made this and it was AMAZING! Even my boyfriend who strictly eats meat and cheese said it was delicious haha. This is certainly going in my year round recipe book!
I am so happy to hear this Ana!! Thank you so much for the great review!
The roasted red pepper pasta was absolutely amazing!! We couldn’t get enough. So easy to make (I used jarred peppers) too. Already craving it again!
Yay! So happy you liked it Marie!! Thanks so much for the great review!
This sounds delicious!
Hey Sophia! Do you have any substitutions for Cashews? I recently ran out of them and the store seems to be out of stock 🙁
Hi! Bummer!! I'd say maybe another nut?? Almonds may work?