This vegan Mexican rice recipe is so easy and so flavorful you'll never buy it again! Just dump in a pot and let the stove do the work!
I have always loved the Mexican rice at restaurants. The flavor and little bits of carrots, corn and peas is so good! And now I can make it at home cheaper, with healthy ingredients and it's super easy!
The quintessential Mexican meal is just not complete without rice and beans, and we eat a LOT of Mexican food at our house. Who doesn't love a good taco at least once a week? So I absolutely needed a good go to easy rice recipe that I could make all the time, and this recipe is just what I was looking for!
For the best homemade vegan Mexican rice, you're going to want the right mix of fresh flavors. Here's what you'll need for this recipe:
- Long grain brown rice
- Veggie broth
How to Make Vegan Mexican Rice
This Mexican rice recipe is seriously so easy! Only a few simple steps are between you and deliciousness, here's what to do:
- Brown the rice.
- Add everything else then simmer.
- Cook until tender, let rest, then fluff.
I love to top this rice with fresh chopped cilantro, and even a dollop of Vegan Sour Cream. Once it's all dressed up, I like to make a party of flavors on my plate by serving the rice with any of these fabulous plant based recipes:
- Homemade Pinto Beans
- Shredded Mushroom Vegan Carnitas
- Homemade Vegan Chorizo
- Vegan Lentil Walnut Tacos
- Black Bean Enchiladas
Tips and tricks
Be sure to check out these extra suggestions when making your own vegan Mexican rice:
- Water can be used instead of broth but the flavor will be more bland.
- You can sub tomato sauce for the salsa but the flavor won’t be as good.
- Adjust your salt to taste, the amount of salt will depend on your salsa.
- Prepare an extra big batch for meal prep, or just to make future dinners easier!
- Leftover Mexican rice will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- Mexican rice can also be frozen! Store in an airtight freezer safe bag or container for up to 3 months. Defrost before reheating.
- Rice can dry out a little in reheating. I suggest adding a splash of broth or water before microwaving to avoid this.
Some Mexican rice could be prepared with chicken stock or lard, so it's best to check with the restaurant to see if their rice is vegan.
While sometimes referred to as the same, Mexican rice and Spanish rice are different. Spanish rice includes saffron, which is where it gets its yellow color. Mexican rice however uses cumin instead.
Brown the rice, then add seasonings, veggies, and broth and simmer until tender.
Using too much liquid or overcooking can cause your rice to get mushy. Try browning it in the pan before adding the liquid, which will help to avoid that mushy texture. Also, watch how much liquid you add and keep an eye on the rice as it cooks. Once it's tender enough to eat, it's done!
More Vegan Mexican Recipes
It's never a bad time for Mexican food, so having a wide variety of recipes on hand is always a good idea! These whole food plant based dishes will satisfy your south of the border cravings:
- Fresh and Easy Mexican Salsa
- Mexican Coleslaw
- Vegan Queso Blanco
- Pozole Verde
- Healthy Black Bean Sweet Potato Tacos
- Crispy Potato Tacos
Simple Vegan Mexican Rice Recipe
- In a pot, brown the rice with a drizzle of oil over medium heat until browned. This is optional but will up the flavor.
- Add everything else into the pot, bring to a boil. About 5 minutes.
- Reduce to medium low and cook covered for 30-35 minutes. Check and add more broth if needed so it doesn’t burn.
- Remove from heat. Let stand for 5 minutes then fluff with a fork. Add cilantro and mix in if using.
- Serve with everything!
- You can sub water for the broth but the flavor won’t be as good.
- You can sub tomato sauce for the salsa but the flavor won’t be as good. Make sure to add more salt. The amount of salt will depend on your salsa.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.