This cowboy salad is the perfect recipe for summer picnics and poolside barbecues. It's so easy to prepare and has incredible flavors!
An amazing tangy dressing with a touch of sweet mixed with different textures from the variety of ingredients. It's perfect for any type of eater!
This post was sponsored by Rubbermaid but the content and opinions expressed are fully my own.
Otherwise known as cowboy caviar, this salad like recipe is on my list of go to easy sides to make for any occasion. I love to pair it with Mexican coleslaw for many veggie packed choices!
Having this cowboy salad recipe prepped and kept fresh in the fridge in my Rubbermaid containers is truly a lifesaver when Summer comes!
Kids constantly looking for snacks? Boom, pair with chips. Lounging by the pool and need lunch? Boom, stick a fork in it because it's already done. Long day out and about enjoying the Summer sun? Boom, dinner is already made! All without heating up the kitchen.
How to Make Cowboy Caviar Salad
Once you've chopped all the veggies, all that's left to do to make this cowboy salad recipe is:
- Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl.
What to Serve With Cowboy Caviar
No matter what you call it, this cowboy recipe can be served a number of ways! Bring it along to potlucks and BBQs to share, or enjoy at home for a snack, lunch, or dinner.
As a snack or appetizer with:
- Tortilla chips - this is what cowboy caviar dip is usually served with
- Pita chips
- Lettuce cups
- Celery sticks
Or as a side dish along with:
- Chop all of the veggies in a small dice, close to the size of a bean.
- Fell free to change out the beans or peppers to other varieties you prefer.
- This recipe for cowboy caviar uses canned beans to keep it extra easy. You can also cook dried beans to use instead.
- Fresh corn cut off the cob tastes best, but frozen corn works too. Simply defrost before using so no extra moisture is added.
- Make a cowboy pasta salad by stirring in cooked pasta such as shells or macaroni.
Meal Prep and Storage Tips
- Chop all the veggies except for the avocado.
- Store the prepared vegetables either separately or combined in Rubbermaid EasyFindLids containers in the refrigerator.
- Mix the dressing and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days before serving.
- The veggies and dressing can be combined and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
- If you plan on making the salad ahead of time, it is best to wait to mix in the avocado just before serving.
- Fully prepared cowboy salad can be refrigerated in an airtight container for a few hours before the avocado starts to brown.
The Best Food Storage Containers
When you like to prepare recipes ahead of time, or at the very least keep leftovers as fresh as possible, you want to make sure you have some quality airtight containers. This is why I love Rubbermaid with the EasyFindLids System™ the most!
- My cabinets stay organized! This may seem impossible, but with interchangeable lids that snap together with the bases beautifully, it's true!
- The BPA-free containers are top-rack dishwasher-safe which is honestly a must, no one like hand washing a million containers and lids.
- Plus, they're freezer-safe for long term storage, and microwave-safe for reheating!
More Easy Salad Recipes
The Best Cowboy Salad Recipe
- Put everything into a bowl and mix well to combine.
- You can substitute other beans or peppers if you prefer.
- Serve with lettuce leaves or tortilla chips.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.