This vegan grilled cheese recipe is hands down the best ever! It’s cheesy, flavorful and filled with veggies for that perfect meal your whole family will love! This will be your new go to recipe!
The secret to this recipe is the flavorful fajita veggies mixed in with the cheese. Add some spinach for an extra dose of greens, plus the optional vegan ranch to coat the inside, and you have a bomb of flavor you will keep coming back to over and over!
We love cheesy vegan meals, like my vegan quesadillas, so this grilled cheese sandwich recipe hits it out of the park! All of my kids loved it, I may have finely chopped the fajita veggies for the little whiner, but it was devoured by all. The ranch was an added layer of flavor you must try!
How to Make a Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This sandwich comes together in no time and is great served with all my vegan soups for dunking! It’s easy to customize and switch up the flavors to keep things interesting.
Step by Step Instructions
- Load the bread with ranch, cheese, veggies, and spinach then close the sandwich.
- Cook in a hot pan until melty.
Try including any of the following to mix up the taste:
- Garlic Aioli
- Vegan Mayo
- Roasted Carrot Hummus
- BBQ Sauce
- Mushroom Bacon
- Vegan Sausage
- Sautéed Mushrooms
- Roasted Peppers
- Sundried Tomatoes
What to Serve with Grilled Cheese
Pair this vegan grilled cheese sandwich with any of the following plant based side dishes for a complete meal:
- Baked Oven Fries
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Eggplant Fries
- Veggie Tots
- Baked Kale Chips
- Tomato Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Apple Cider Vinegar Coleslaw
- Lemon Kale Salad
- Watermelon Salad
- Street Corn Salad
- Loaded Baked Potato
- For an extra crispy result brush the outside of the bread slices with butter or oil.
- If you do use butter or oil make sure to keep a close eye as it will cause the bread to brown faster and can burn.
- The ranch is optional on the inside of the sandwich but is highly recommended for amazing flavor.
- If you are gluten-free make sure to use your favorite gluten-free bread.
- Make it extra cheesy by adding a slice of cheese in-between the veggie layer.
It’s actually possible to make a grilled cheese without coating the bread in anything! Plain bread will end up toasting on the outside a bit. However, for the crispiest bread you can coat the outside of the bread slices in oil or dairy free butter.
A vegan grilled cheese is a hot sandwich that consists of melted plant based cheese in between two slices of toasted bread.
Typically no, as the classic recipe uses butter and cheese. However, it’s easy to make with a few simple substitutions.
More Vegan Sandwich Recipes
Put down the fork and knife and eat with your hands! These plant based sandwiches are all family favorites:
- Smashed Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Falafel Sandwich
- Meatball Sub
- Vegan Cheesesteak
- Apple Arugula and Smoky Tempeh Sandwich
- Vegan Panini
The BEST Vegan Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Brush the outside of the bread slices with butter or oil, optional for extra crisp.
- Coat the inside of the bread slices with ranch, optional for extra flavor.
- Place 6 of the slices with the outsides down, then layer with 1 slice of cheese.
- Separate the veggies and spinach among the 6 slices.
- Top with one more slice of cheese. You can put an extra slice in between veggie layers for extra cheesiness.
- Top with the last 6 slices of bread, keeping the buttered or oiled side on top.
- Grill on a hot pan on low for 2-3 minutes, then flip and grill another 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted. If you used oil or butter, watch it closely so it doesn’t burn.
- You can sub any vegetables you prefer.
- You can use any spread you prefer, ranch gives it a great flavor though!
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.