If you’re looking for the tastiest refried bean burrito recipe, this is it! It’s not only vegan, but also healthy, super easy to make and hits the spot like no other!
I could eat these every day. They remind me of the greasy taco shop versions I used to live on in college, but these don’t leave me feeling awful after. Huge win!
This post was originally published on June 26, 2021.
Sometimes I need simplicity in my life, and that often starts with my meals. So this refried bean and cheese burrito is the perfect solution. Make sure to use my easy homemade refried beans for the best result!
How to Make a Refried Bean Burrito
In addition to being extremely delicious, they’re also incredibly easy to make! I like to grill them up to seal the tortilla, but you can even skip that step if you want.
These family pleasing burritos are made with the simplest ingredients. Here’s what you need:
- Refried beans
- Dairy free shredded cheese
- Burrito sized tortillas
Step by Step Instructions
Making these vegan bean and cheese burritos is as easy as 1, 2, 3! Here’s the simple steps:
- Spread beans and cheese in the middle of the tortilla.
- Fold and grill the burritos.
Add in suggestions
My kids are purists and like to keep it simple most of the time. But that doesn’t mean the rest of us have to be! Try adding in any of these other fillings:
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Mexican Rice
- Tomatillo Salsa Verde
- Fresh Mexican Salsa
- Easy Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Vegan Chorizo
Pair these homemade bean burritos with any of the following plant based recipes:
- Amazing Vegan Quesadilla
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Fajita Veggies
- Mexican Coleslaw
- Vegan Nachos
- The Best Vegan Taquitos
- Chips and Vegan Queso
Tips for freezing burritos
Double, triple, or quadruple the recipe and save the rest for later! It is a great way to have grab and go meals. Here is how to freeze them:
- Make the burritos and let them cool.
- Surround each individual burrito with parchment paper.
- Then wrap with tin foil.
- Put them in a plastic sealable freezer bag or wrap with plastic wrap.
- To reheat, unwrap the frozen burrito, then wrap it in a damp paper towel and heat in the microwave.
- You can also unwrap it and put it in the tin foil and heat it in the oven.
Tips and tricks
When making your own homemade bean burritos, keep the following in mind:
- Either use homemade refried beans or canned.
- For a piping hot burrito, warm the beans a little before filling the tortillas.
- Your best bet is to use burrito sized tortillas. If you use smaller, you’ll need to use less filling. Find gluten-free if needed.
- When grilling, place the seam side down first. This will help to seal it.
- The burrito should come off easily when flipping, if it is sticking then it needs to cook longer.
- If you accidentally burn it, don’t worry, it is easy to use a serrated knife to scrape off the burned surface.
More Vegan Recipes with Beans
Have plenty of beans on hand? Or just a big fan? Either way, these plant based recipes are great ways to use them up!
- Rice and Black Bean Burrito
- Black Bean Sweet Potato Tacos
- Breakfast Burritos
- Black Bean Enchiladas
- Vegan Bean Chili
- Gluten-free Black Bean Burger
Easy Vegan Refried Bean and Cheese Burrito
- 3 cups refried beans , homemade or store bought (my recipe makes 3 cups)
- 1 ½ cups dairy free shredded cheese , or any cheese you prefer
- 6 burrito sized tortillas , gluten-free if needed
- Add ½ cup beans to each tortilla.
- Top with ½ cup cheese.
- Fold sides of the tortilla in, then roll tortilla packing in the filling into a nice tight burrito closed on all sides.
- Place seam side down into a frying pan. I did not use or need any non stick surface. Cook on medium low for about 5 minutes, or until seam is sealed and tortilla is a deep brown. Burrito should come off easily, if it is sticking then it needs to cook longer. Check periodically being careful not to burn it. If you accidentally burn it, don’t worry, it is easy to use a serrated knife to scrape off the burned surface.
- Flip burrito to the other side and brown again for another 5 minutes. Grilling is optional but makes for the perfect burritos and makes them easier for kids to eat since it seals them.
- You can use my homemade refried beans or any you prefer. Just make sure you have about 3 cups. For the best flavor make my homemade beans!
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.