This vegetarian refried bean burrito is not only amazingly good but it’s healthy and super easy to make! It’s like a taco shop at home!
I love a good burrito, and my kids are purists a lot of the time. So creating this refried bean burrito was a must. Sometimes simplicity is where it’s at! I paired it with some carrots and ranch and they were happy campers!
In addition to being extremely delicious, they’re also incredibly easy to make! I like to grill them up to seal the tortilla, but you can even skip that step if you want. Keep them simple, or dress them up with extra fillings!
These family pleasing burritos are made with the simplest ingredients. Here’s what you need:
- Refried beans
- Dairy free shredded cheese
- Burrito sized tortillas
How to Make a Refried Bean Burrito
Making these vegan bean and cheese burritos is as easy as 1, 2, 3! Here’s the simple steps:
- Spread beans and cheese in the middle of the tortilla.
- Fold and grill the burritos.
Add in suggestions
As I mentioned, the kids are purists and like to keep it simple most of the time. But that doesn’t mean the rest of us have to be! Try adding in any of these other fillings:
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Mexican Rice
- Tomatillo Salsa Verde
- Fresh Mexican Salsa
- Easy Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Vegan Chorizo
Tips for freezing burritos
Double, triple, or quadruple the recipe and save the rest for later! It is a great way to have grab and go meals. Here is how to freeze them:
- Make the burritos and let them cool.
- Wrap with parchment paper.
- Then wrap with tin foil.
- Put them in a plastic sealable freezer bag or wrap with plastic wrap.
When you are ready to eat, unwrap the frozen burrito, then wrap it in a damp paper towel and heat in the microwave. Or you can unwrap it and put it in the tin foil and heat it in the oven.
Tips and tricks
When making your own homemade bean burritos, keep the following in mind:
- Either use homemade refried beans or canned.
- For a piping hot burrito, warm the beans a little before filling the tortillas.
- Your best bet is to use burrito sized tortillas. If you use smaller, you’ll need to use less filling. Find gluten-free if needed.
- When grilling, place the seam side down first. This will help to seal it.
- The burrito should come off easily when flipping, if it is sticking then it needs to cook longer.
- If you accidentally burn it, don’t worry, it is easy to use a serrated knife to scrape off the burned surface.
More Vegan Recipes with Beans
Have plenty of beans on hand? Or just a big fan? Either way, these plant based recipes are great ways to use them up!
- Rice and Black Bean Burrito
- Black Bean Sweet Potato Tacos
- Breakfast Burritos
- Black Bean Enchiladas
- Vegan Bean Chili
- Gluten-free Black Bean Burger
The Best Vegetarian Refried Bean Burrito Recipe
- 3 cups refried beans , homemade or store bought (my recipe makes 3 cups)
- 1 ½ cups dairy free shredded cheese , or any cheese you prefer
- 6 burrito sized tortillas , gluten-free if needed
- Add ½ cup beans to each tortilla.
- Top with ½ cup cheese.
- Fold sides of the tortilla in, then roll tortilla packing in the filling into a nice tight burrito closed on all sides.
- Place seam side down into a frying pan. I did not use or need any non stick surface. Cook on medium low for about 5 minutes, or until seam is sealed and tortilla is a deep brown. Burrito should come off easily, if it is sticking then it needs to cook longer. Check periodically being careful not to burn it. If you accidentally burn it, don’t worry, it is easy to use a serrated knife to scrape off the burned surface.
- Flip burrito to the other side and brown again for another 5 minutes. Grilling is optional but makes for the perfect burritos and makes them easier for kids to eat since it seals them.
- You can use my homemade refried beans or any you prefer. Just make sure you have about 3 cups.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.