This refried bean burrito is the perfect dupe for the ones at my favorite taco shop. Except this is easy to make, much healthier and the flavor is unreal!
I love making a bunch of these refried bean burritos and freezing them for easy dinners on those crazy nights. You can also add in any other ingredients you love!
This post was originally published on June 26, 2021.
Eating a diet rich in plants doesn't have to be fancy. These refried bean burritos pair perfectly with my Mexican coleslaw for a well rounded meal!
This family pleasing bean burrito recipe burrito is made with the simplest ingredients. Here's what you need:
- Refried beans (Make sure to use my easy homemade refried beans for the best result!)
- Dairy free shredded cheese
- Burrito sized tortillas
How to Make a Refried Bean Burrito
In addition to being extremely delicious, they're also incredibly easy to make! I like to grill them up to seal the tortilla, but you can even skip that step if you want.
- Make the refried beans.
- Spread beans and cheese in the middle of a tortilla.
- Fold and grill the burritos if you prefer them crisp.
Bean Burrito Filling Ideas
My kids are purists and like to keep it simple most of the time. But that doesn't mean the rest of us have to be! Try adding in any of these other fillings:
How to Freeze Refried Bean Burritos
Double, triple, or quadruple the recipe and save the rest for later! It is a great way to have grab and go meals. Here is how to freeze them:
- Make the burritos and let them cool.
- Surround each individual burrito with parchment paper.
- Then wrap with tin foil.
- Put them in a plastic sealable freezer bag or wrap with plastic wrap.
- To reheat, unwrap the frozen burrito, then wrap it in a damp paper towel and heat in the microwave.
- You can also unwrap it and put it in the tin foil and heat it in the oven.
When making your own vegan bean burritos, keep the following in mind:
- Learn how to make beans for burritos homemade, or use canned to keep it simple.
- For a piping hot burrito, warm the beans a little before filling the tortillas.
- Your best bet is to use burrito sized tortillas. If you use smaller, you'll need to use less filling. Find gluten-free if needed.
- When grilling, place the seam side down first. This will help to seal it.
- The burrito should come off easily when flipping, if it is sticking then it needs to cook longer.
- If you accidentally burn it, don’t worry, it is easy to use a serrated knife to scrape off the burned surface.
More Vegan Recipes with Beans
Have plenty of beans on hand? Or just a big fan? Either way make sure to try these plant based recipes after you finish your refried bean burrito!
Refried Bean Burrito Recipe
- 3 cups refried beans , homemade or store bought (my recipe makes 3 cups)
- 1 ½ cups dairy free shredded cheese , or any cheese you prefer
- 6 burrito sized tortillas , gluten-free if needed
- Add ½ cup beans to each tortilla.
- Top with ½ cup cheese.
- Fold sides of the tortilla in, then roll tortilla packing in the filling into a nice tight burrito closed on all sides.
- Place seam side down into a frying pan. I did not use or need any non stick surface. Cook on medium low for about 5 minutes, or until seam is sealed and tortilla is a deep brown. Burrito should come off easily, if it is sticking then it needs to cook longer. Check periodically being careful not to burn it. If you accidentally burn it, don’t worry, it is easy to use a serrated knife to scrape off the burned surface.
- Flip burrito to the other side and brown again for another 5 minutes. Grilling is optional but makes for the perfect burritos and makes them easier for kids to eat since it seals them.
- You can use my homemade refried beans or any you prefer. Just make sure you have about 3 cups. For the best flavor make my homemade beans!
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.