When your green smoothie is disguised as a healthy shamrock shake it’s a huge win! Filled with protein packed avocado and spinach for that extra green boost.
I have a gift of getting my kids to think healthy treats are actually dessert. I’m all for feeding them veggies with dinner, but if I can get them in with dessert too, I leave the day feeling like a superstar.
Are vegetable smoothies healthy?
The way I see it, you can never have too many veggies. We eat them with our meals, but I love nothing more than sneaking them into treats.
Fruit is great in a smoothie, but it’s best to balance out all the natural sugar in fruit with some veggies. There are loads of options that will give you a variety of nutrients.
The healthiest thing you can do is get as many veggies as you can into your body, making sure to mix it up so you are also getting a variety of vitamins and minerals.
What greens are best in smoothies?
Spinach in a green smoothie tends to be the first pick for people. I love it because it is versatile and has so many great qualities!
Avocado is also a great addition, not only for it’s creaminess but also because it is such a great protein and fat source. Our bodies need both of these to function, so to get it in all forms is not only healthy but the creaminess is also delish.
Here is a list of my favorites:
How do you make a healthy milkshake?
The first thing I did was decide what veggies I wanted to use to get the flavor and texture of a milkshake but also have a hidden healthy factor.
Spinach disguises itself well so because this is kids I went with that as my hidden green.
To help add to the creamy factor, I chose avocado. I love that it has all that fat and protein too, so a perfect way to boost their health without them knowing.
Steps to making the healthy shamrock shake:
- Put everything in the blender, except the chocolate chips, and blend.
- Add the chocolate chips and pulse until incorporated.
- Devour! And if you’re like me, the more whip the better.
More awesome drink desserts you might like:
- Vegan Pecan Pumpkin Shake
- Vegan Homemade Strawberry Milk
- Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake
- Salted Caramel Pretzel Oatmeal Cookie Smoothie
Healthy Vegan Shamrock Shake
- ¼ cup spinach
- ¼ avocado
- 1 ½ very ripe frozen bananas
- 5-6 ice cubes , optional for an icier shake
- 1/8-¼ teaspoon peppermint extract , depending on how pepperminty you want it
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk , or use 1 cup full fat coconut milk for optimal creaminess
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or 4 dates , optional for extra sweetness
- ¼ cup vegan chocolate chips , plus more to sprinkle on top (use raw cacao nibs for raw shake with less sugar)
- ¼ cup whipped topping , optional for topping
- Place all ingredients except the chocolate chips into a blender and mix until well blended.
- You can add more milk if it’s too thick.
- Add chocolate chips and pulse to chop them up, but don’t overblend because you will lose the green color.
- Sprinkle with more chocolate chips and a dollop or whipped topping if desired.
- Make sure you are using a neutral tasting avocado, some types have stronger flavors than others. Hass is probably the best bet, I used a Fuerte one time and the flavor was way too strong for us.
- Make sure your bananas are very ripe when freezing to get the optimum sweetness. If they aren’t super ripe you may want to add more sweetener.
- To make this nut free use a nut free milk.
- Nutrition calculations use maple syrup and do not include whipped topping.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.