Bringing BBQ to your table in a non traditional way, with a preview of one of the recipes in my first cookbook (Vegan Burgers and Burritos), the Down Home BBQ Burger. This vegan BBQ black bean burger is sweet, tangy and full of flavor! It is really easy to throw together. If you're a BBQ lover, you're going to love this one!
Eeek!! My book is here! Have you seen it? Ordered it? You can leave a review on Amazon now and receive a free gift! The gift includes 3 recipes that are not on my blog or in the book: Maple Mustard Falafel Sliders, Popcorn Cauliflower Burrito and Low Fat Maple Mustard Tahini Sauce.
You don't want to miss these bonus treats! Email me a screenshot of your review and they are yours.
It's time to chill
I worked my booty off writing and photographing this book. It was a huge accomplishment, anyone that has worked on a cookbook knows how much work it is, let alone when you are also the photographer.
I can honestly say that I am SO glad I'm done and can go back to being a mom first. Ironically my husband also traveled the most he ever has during the months I was writing the book (why do things always work out this way?!), so when he was here on the weekends, it was daddy time and I often missed hanging out with the family since I was working non stop.
But it's all done now, and I can sit back and enjoy my success! Funny fact, I shot my cover at least 20 times. I was not happy with any of the cover shots until my very last one. I'm my own worst critic!
I'm sharing some exciting stuff with you guys
I am so excited to share this bbq black bean burger recipe with you guys today and give you a little sneak peek into what this book is all about. BBQ is a flavor that I am very picky about.
I am one of those middle of the road people when it comes to my bbq sauce. I don't like it too sweet. But I also don't want it too tangy. I created this vegan bbq sauce and burger to represent that perfect middle ground flavor.
The great thing is that you can always add more tang or sweetness to how you like it. There are no rules! Just make and enjoy.
And if you like what you see, and want more, please order my book so you get the deliciousness asap! Thank you all for your support now and always!
Vegan BBQ Black Bean Burger
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup cooked black beans , drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chopped sweet or yellow onion (see note)
- ¼ cup cooked chopped potato (see note)
- ¼ - ½ cup cooked frozen , defrosted to room temor fresh corn (add less or more per personal preference
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon Healthy Vegan BBQ sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Lightly grilled rings of sweet or yellow onion
- Healthy Vegan BBQ sauce
- 4-5 buns of choice
To make the BBQ sauce
Put the tomato paste, broth, maple syrup, molasses, vinegar, liquid smoke, chili powder, salt and garlic powder in a bowl and mix well until smooth.
To make the burgers
- Place all ingredients, except corn, into a food processor. Pulse a few times until chunky. Add corn and pulse a few more times. Don’t over pulse or mixture will get too soft and dip like.
- Put mixture into a bowl.
- Put mixture into the fridge for at least 20 minutes, an hour is best. Making this the night before and letting it sit is optimal. This helps all flavors marinate and leads to a sturdier burger.
- To cook, shape into patties and cook in a pan on stove top over medium heat for 15 min each side. Pans and stove tops vary, so begin to check at 10 minutes. If you try and slide your spatula under the patty and it won’t give, then it isn’t ready and needs to cook longer. If you don’t use a non stick pan, then you may want to prepare the pan by brushing it with a tad of oil to avoid sticking. You can also bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet at 375 for about 20-25 minutes on each side. Allow to cool and set for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve on buns with toppings of choice.
- Save some rings of onion to use as an optional topping. Cook after you sauté the burger ingredients.
- Any type of starchy potato works, I used red. Sweet is not recommended as it is not starchy enough. Cook in the microwave or oven. I don’t recommend boiling because it makes the potato too wet.
- Measure potato by mashing it into the measuring spoon.
- Nutrition facts are for the patty only.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.
Nutrition and metric information should be considered an estimate.
Do these hold up good to grill, they won’t crumble?
Yes!!! They are great.
Can you grill these?
Hi Jessie! Yep! I have a few burgers that are pretty sturdy. These other black bean ones are really sturdy too: https://www.veggiesdontbite.com/low-fat-easy-vegan-gluten-free-black-bean-burgers/
Wow congratulations on the book Sophia that buger looks insane, so excited to try it!
I was searching for BBQ vegan recipes for my husband, who loves BBQ and is willing to eat vegan when I cook at home. We loved the delicious flavors and different textures...and the pan frying sealed the deal. Your BBQ sauce is so YUM! I did use all of the salt, but will try to cut back on it next time since I rarely use salt when cooking. I'm hoping we won't miss it. Do you think that I could freeze the BBQ sauce?
Thank you so much Sara! I'm so happy you loved them. You can definitely freeze the BBQ sauce. Just give it a good stir when defrosting or even heat it up a bit. Thanks for your support!
The Vegan 8
Girl, I'm drooling all over my keyboard!! You know I love BBQ sauce more than anything in the world and BBQ burgers as well! I love my black bean burgers made this way too, gives such wonderful structure and cornmeal is my favorite binding ingredient also so I know I would absolutely love these. So happy for you and your book, everything looks phenomenal and mouthwatering!!! I'm so hungry right now!
I made this black bean burger recipe for my vegetarian boyfriend last night, and even though I am a meat eater, I prefer this recipe to beef for sure!!
We were blown away with how satisfying and delicious this burger was.
Oh wow!!! Nortessa, you totally made my night! Thank you so so much for letting me know! My book is filled with 27 burgers like this one, all different and flavorful!
Linda from Veganosity
I don't know how you did it with three little boys?! I chose to hire a professional photographer for our book so I could focus on the recipes and it almost killed me. You are a rock star!
That burger looks amazing and I can't wait for my copy of your book to arrive. Wishing you much success, my friend. xoxo
I honestly have no idea either!! It was one of those keep your head in the game and power through situations. LOL! Thank you so much and I can't wait to see your book as well!
Cassie Thuvan Tran
Congratulations on your book--I KNOW that it's amazing. You worked so hard for it! Anyhow, this burger recipe looks incredible! Cannot wait to try it one day!
Thank you so much Cassie! I truly appreciate your kind words!
Sarah Newman, Vegan Chickpea
**Jaw drops** Seriously, THAT BURGER - looks like it's to die for!! I cannot wait to get my copy of this book in the mail any day now and try it with the BBQ sauce!! YES YES YES!! And a huge congrats to you!!
Awe, thank you Sarah!! I so appreciate all your support and kind words!