This vegan chicken noodle soup is the perfect meal for those cold cozy days. It uses chickpeas instead of traditional chicken for a healthy dose of protein!
This post was originally published on November 23, 2020.
I love how simple yet delicious this chickpea soup is. It's so comforting! We even like to put in homemade croutons instead of the traditional crackers.
Sometimes it's those classic simple recipes that really hit the spot. This vegan version of traditional chicken noodle soup is so simple and satisfying!
How to Make Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
Soups are seriously one of the best creations ever. They're easy to make with minimal dishes, and can be an entire meal in one bowl. Not to mention it's a great healthy way to incorporate more veggies into your family's diet in a delicious way.
This take on the classic chicken noodle may not have chicken, but it still packs plenty of protein and nutrients! This delicious soup is filled with the best combination of healthy and flavorful ingredients, and is easy to make in just 35 minutes!
Step by Step Instructions
- Sauté veggies.
- Mix in chickpeas, lemon, broth, and simmer.
- Add noodles and serve!
This soup is hearty enough to be served as a meal on its own, especially with some deliciously crusty bread for dipping or topped with Homemade Croutons and Vegan Parmesan Cheese! But when you're in the mood for that classic soup & salad combo, try serving this soup alongside any of these salads:
- Lemon Kale Salad
- Lentil Quinoa Salad
- Vegan Greek Farro Salad
- Grilled Romaine Salad with Vegan Caesar Dressing
- Avocado Kale Salad with Butternut Squash
- Use gluten free pasta to make this recipe gluten free.
- You can easily cook the pasta in the soup directly, but if you prefer to cook them separately, add them just before serving.
- I've used chickpeas in place of chicken for substance and protein. If you'd prefer, you can use your favorite chicken alternative.
- My favorite noodle to use in this soup is rotini, I feel like it adds the right texture and feels hearty. You can use other shapes like macaroni, shells, or really almost anything you have on hand.
- This recipe is super versatile, you can add extra veggies if you want! Try adding mushrooms, spinach, peppers, or zucchini.
- Make this in the slow cooker! Cook on high for 5 hours, or low for 8. Just wait to add the pasta until 15 minutes before serving, or cook it separately and add just before serving.
Make Ahead and Storage Tips
The beautiful thing about soups is that their flavor improves with time! So prep it in advance or make extra for leftovers!
- Make the soup entirely ahead of time and reheat when ready to enjoy.
- To avoid soggy noodles, keep them separate and add them while serving.
- This soup will keep in your fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- You can also freeze it for up to 3 months.
- To avoid freezer burn I suggest putting a piece of plastic wrap right up against the top of the soup before sealing the lid.
It's completely up to you. I like the ease of cooking them directly in the soup, less effort and less dishes? Yes please! Not to mention they absorb more of the soup flavor this way. However, it is easier to control how much the noodles are cooked if you cook them on their own. So, if you're particular about your pasta texture cook them separately and add them in as you serve.
It depends how you like your soup! If you want a super hearty and chunky soup, try rotini. Or you can use smaller noodle shapes like shells or macaroni. Fettuccine or spaghetti noodles work as well, but I suggest breaking them up into smaller pieces before cooking.
To avoid soggy noodles you want to make sure you don't overcook them. Either cook them in the soup just until they're soft then serve. Or you can cook them on their own and add them once the soup is finished cooking.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
If you're in the mood for more comforting plant based soups, check out these other recipes:
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Wild Rice Soup
- Healthy Vegan Carrot Soup
- Sweet Potato Soup
- Tuscan Ribollita Soup
- Miso Soup with Noodles and Vegetables
- Easy Vegetable Minestrone
- Tomato Soup
Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 cup chopped sweet or yellow onion
- Drizzle of oil or broth to sauté
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill , add more if you like dill
- 2 bay leaves
- 1- 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt , start with 1 and add more if needed
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups veggie broth , low sodium if needed
- 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas , about one 15 ounce can
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups dry pasta , gluten free if needed
- Sauté onion over medium heat with oil or broth until soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, garlic, parsley, dill, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Sauté until the carrots begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, lemon and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook about 10-15 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking you can cook the pasta if you want to keep it separate.
- If you want to cook the pasta in the soup, then add it about 10 minutes in and cook until soft.
- If you don’t like the pasta to get overly cooked, then cook it separately and add to bowls when serving.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.