Get all your greens in one bowl of delicious vegan creamy spinach pea soup! Not only is this low fat, but it’s packed with veggies and protein.
This is a cookbook review written by me on behalf of Vanessa Croessmann, for which I received a free copy of the book. All the opinions and text are all mine.
Down here in Southern Cali, winter is more of an idea than it is a season. That being said, it’s been a cold one lately (I’m talking below 60 and freeze your toes in flip flops weather…I know, we’re wimps). But it’s an excellent excuse to load up on soups, which is why this new book, Awesome Vegan Soups by Vanessa Croessmann, came at the perfect time!
I love soups with unexpected ingredients!
This creamy spinach pea soup is the perfect way to fit in those greens. Too cold for your green smoothie? No problem! This is kinda like the warm version. It is jam packed with veggies and the secret low fat ingredient to get the creaminess, chickpeas. Is there anything those babies can’t do?! It actually reminds me a lot of my Summer Veggie and Bean Soup my kids love.
Another thing I loved about this recipe, other than the fact that it took me only 20 minutes to make, was the added Dijon mustard at the end. Yep, I never would have thought of that either. My hubby hates Dijon, so although I liked it with the mustard, I made a version where I added balsamic vinegar and a touch of Sriracha to get that sharp tang that Dijon brings to the soup. OMG SO GOOD.
Other amazing things about Awesome Vegan Soups
Vanessa’s book is fabulous, especially for you soup lovers out there. Check out her blog and all about the book.
I have many things I love about this book, but here are my top favorites:
- She organizes the recipes by season, so fun!
- Her pictures really showcase each recipe, because who doesn’t want a book they feel the urge to lick?
- She has a section for extras and soup toppings, because more is more.
- They are quick and easy!
- Made with whole foods!
So whether you are a soup lover or not, you always need some quick go to cozy warm recipes. Just look at this vegan pho!
That is next on my list! I can almost smell it through the page. So go get yourself a copy stat. You will love how quick, flavorful and easy these recipes are. Not to mention, they are great kid food. Number 2 is a soup obsessed foodie so I’m going to give him the book and teach him how to make dinner. Boom! Bonus.
Vegan Creamy Spinach Pea Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil , plus more for garnish (for oil free see note)
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 cups veggie broth , low sodium if needed
- 2 cups frozen or fresh peas
- 3.5 ounces fresh spinach , large handful
- 1 cup soaked and cooked chickpeas
- 1/2-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (optional)
- sea salt , to taste
- pepper , to taste
- fresh herbs , for garnish
- In a medium stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes until it becomes translucent (if you are making this oil free, simply sauté the onion in a bit of broth).
- Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes until it becomes fragrant.
- Add the broth, peas, spinach and chickpeas to the stockpot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow the soup to simmer for 10 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Blend the soup using an immersion blender, or in batches when using a regular blender.
- Stir 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard into the soup, adding more to taste. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve soup in bowls with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of fresh herbs.
- Recipes makes 5 cups soup.
- Nutrition calculated without the oil.
- I made this oil free by sautéing the onion with broth instead of oil.
- Chop onion and garlic.
- Great baby and kid food.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.