This cozy sweet goodness in a molten chocolate lava cake form will blow your mind. You’ll have no idea it’s vegan and gluten-free!
I am a good mix of wholesome veggie filled meals and sweet indulgent tasting desserts. And while this recipe may not exactly be considered health food, it’s still made with plant-based whole food ingredients!
A classic fancy pants restaurant dessert that you can enjoy in your own home in not so fancy pants! Cuddle up on the couch in your PJs and indulge, or share after a homemade romantic candlelit dinner, whatever floats your boat!
Ooey gooey rich and decadent cake without dairy or gluten? You betcha! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Cocoa powder
- Dairy free chocolate chips
- Baking powder
- Sea salt
- Maple syrup
- Almond butter
- Tomato paste (yep, don’t knock it till you try it!)
- Cashew milk
- Vanilla extract
I you’re a little skeptical on the tomato paste addition, I get it. But I promise it makes the chocolate even more rich and delicious! I use it in my vegan chocolate ice cream recipe, chocolate oat smoothie, hot chocolate and my chocolate mug cake recipes with big success!
How To Make Lava Cake
Making your own vegan lava cake at home is more simple than you may think. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Mix ingredients in a bowl.
- Prep the ramekins and put in the batter.
Dress up your dessert with any of these finishing touches:
- Dust with powdered sugar
- Add a dollop of Vegan Whipped Cream
- Make it a la mode with a scoop of vegan ice cream
- Serve with fresh berries
Tips and tricks
While this recipe for lava cake is on the more simple side, there’s still a few key things to keep in mind:
- For a more traditional approach flip the cakes onto a plate, but you can also serve directly in the ramekin if you prefer.
- Make sure you prep the ramekins well to ensure the cakes don’t stick by coating well with oil and dusting with cocoa powder.
- This recipe works best in ramekins, but if you don’t have them you can use muffin tins.
- Serving the lava cake immediately will ensure that the center is still melted. If you let it cool too long the center will still be soft and gooey but not as melted.
- To prep these ahead of time, mix the batter and fill the ramekins, cover, and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake. Let them start to come to room temperature, add the chocolate chips and bake.
- You can also bake them and let cool. Simply reheat before serving in the oven or microwave to re-melt the center. (This may result in loosing the molten lava center but it will still taste fabulous!)
- If you want a more melted chocolate center, after you fill the ramekins with batter, add extra chocolate chips and push those into the center of the batter.
- If you end up with leftovers, wrap them well in plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- For the best texture you need accuracy with the dry ingredients. Which is why I include precise weights. If you don’t have a scale, then you can purchase this fairly inexpensive one.
- If you prefer to measure, then measure the cocoa by scooping your measuring cup into the flour versus spooning it into it. This is how I measured when getting my weights.
Three days is pretty much the max for storing baked lava cakes. After that it will dry out and the quality won’t be as good.
Nope! The molten lava center is created by melted chocolate. The edges are still crisp and cake like.
Yes you can! The quickest way is microwaving it for about 30 seconds, but you can also reheat in the oven.
The key to this is your preparation. Make sure the ramekins are coated well in oil along with a dusting of cocoa powder. If they don’t slide out easily, gently run a butter knife around the edges to loosen the cake from the sides of the ramekin.
More Vegan Desserts
To keep your sweet tooth satisfied, try out these other delectable whole food dessert recipes:
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- Easy Vegan Gluten Free Snickerdoodles
- Vegan Chocolate Truffles
- Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies
- Easy Vegan Tiramisu
Vegan Gluten-Free Chocolate Lava Cake
Optional for extra gooey center (I liked it without, my kids liked it with):
- 2 teaspoons dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 F/ 220 C
- Mix cocoa powder, chocolate chips, baking powder and salt in a bowl breaking up clumps.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Prep your ramekins with a spray of oil, rub around to coat. Then dust each with a little cocoa powder.
- Split the batter into the ramekins.
- If you want an extra gooey center, add 1 teaspoon of chocolate chips in the middle of each ramekin and push down to cover them with batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool a bit, but enjoy warm.
- This works best in ramekins, but if you don’t have them you can use muffin tins. Prep the same way.
- Use the extra chocolate chips for a more chocolatey gooey center but I loved this without it just as much if not more!
- If you let it cool too much it won’t be as lava like.
- The center will puff up when baking and fall as it cools. This is normal for lava cake. The top edges of the cake in the ramekin will still have a crisp.
- Nutrition facts do not include the extra chocolate chips.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.