No Bake Chocolate Peppermint Protein Balls
A festive vegan holiday treat made in only 5 minutes! These no bake chocolate peppermint balls even have a trick to keeping them whole food and healthy.
- 10 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond butter , use sunbutter for nut free (see note)
- 1/4 cup unflavored pea protein powder , I use NOW Sports brand (see note)
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon peppermint extract , use more if not using the candy cane option
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2-4 tablespoons crushed candy canes , or cacao nibs for a healthy crunchy option (plus more to top for presentation if wanted)
- 2-4 tablespoons dairy free chocolate chips , omit for even healthier option
- 2-4 tablespoons water optional (see note)
Put everything except the candy cane or cacao nibs, chocolate chips and water into a bowl and mix well.
Slowly add water if needed. You may not need any water if your almond butter is runny. Start with a teaspoon and slowly add until you get a well mixed batter. If you add too much then the batter will be too soft to roll.
Add the candy canes/cacao nibs and chocolate chips and mix again.
Allow to chill in the fridge while you clean up, then roll into balls.
You can then top with more crushed candy canes for presentation if you want. I just rolled them in or sprinkled them on top.
- These make 10 balls about 2 inches in size
- To make this nut free use sunbutter, this will change the flavor slightly but will allow it to be completely allergy friendly.
- You can sub another kind of protein powder, just make sure it is unsweetened and unflavored.
- If you do not have, or do not want to use, a protein powder you can sub oat flour. Use the same amount.
- If your almond butter is runny you may not need any water, add slowly to get the consistency you prefer. You could also use milk if you want a little extra richness.
- For the healthiest option, use cacao nibs instead of the candy canes and omit the chocolate chips.
- I crushed my candy canes in a plastic bag using the end of a wooden spoon.
- Nutrition facts include 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips and crushed candy canes.
Calories: 118kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 81mg | Potassium: 149mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 1.4mg