Yellow Split Pea Dip (Greek Fava)
Switch up your hummus routine with this protein filled yellow split pea dip. It's called "Fava" in Greek, and the perfect way to get your healthy snacking on!
Servings 2 servings
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 1 medium sweet onion about 3 inches, chopped
- 1 cups veggie broth plus 1/4 cup for sautéing , low sodium if needed
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1-2 teaspoons Himalayan pink salt see note
- pinch of ground black pepper see note
- 2 – 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice see note
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
Wash and strain the split peas. Peel and chop the onion.
In a pot, pour the 1/4 cup veggie broth and sauté the onion until soft. Add split peas and stir for a couple of minutes. Add the 1 cup broth, water, and salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil and simmer over very low heat until split peas are totally soft, about 30 minutes. Check periodically to see if more water is needed.
Remove from stove and use an immersion blender to smooth it out. You can also allow to cool and pour into a food processor or blender. Add lemon juice, stir to incorporate and top with parsley to serve. Use as a dip or on a sandwich! Or just eat with a spoon!
- You can also use water in place of the 1 1/4 cups veggie broth but the broth gives it additional flavor. How much salt depends on your broth type. Start with 1 teaspoon and taste to see if you need more.
- Same goes with the pepper and lemon, if you love pepper and/or lemon add more. Greatly adaptable for the taste you like!
Baby/toddler food idea: serve as is. Great baby or toddler food.
Calories: 405kcal | Carbohydrates: 75g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 500mg | Potassium: 1227mg | Fiber: 26g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 650IU | Vitamin C: 29.3mg | Calcium: 96mg | Iron: 5.2mg