Healthy Vegan Churro "Unfried" Ice Cream
Taking deep fried, full of unhealthy fat, loaded with sugar dessert and turning it into a healthy vegan dream come true. "Unfried" ice cream at its best!
Servings 10 servings
- 1 cup Cinnamon & Sugar Flavored SuperSeedz Pumpkin Seeds see note
- 2 cups non dairy vanilla flavored ice cream
- 1-2 teaspoons cinnamon optional for added churro flavor plus extra to garnish
Grind pumpkin seeds and cinnamon in a food processor, be careful to blend only until chunky and not to overblend into a fine powder. The crispness of the seeds remains if the pieces are not too fine. Place on a plate or shallow dish.
Using a melon ball scooper, carefully roll out small balls of frozen ice cream. You can also shape with your hands. After each ball is rolled out, place in the dish that has ground coating and cover the entire ball with coating. Use a spoon to pour coating on to make it easier. You can also roll the ball around with your fingers and shape it.
Carefully use the spoon to pick up the coated ice cream ball and place on another plate and store in freezer while continuing to make each ball. It worked best to do this all very quickly. If ice cream begins to soften, place back in freezer and allow to get frozen again.
Allow balls to freeze completely before serving. Add an extra sprinkle of cinnamon as garnish.
- If you can’t find the SuperSeedz pumpkin seeds, you can also use regular pumpkin seeds and add a mix of cinnamon and sugar (unrefined to keep it on the healthier side) when processing.
- Start with 1 tablespoon sugar and 2 extra teaspoons cinnamon and taste to adjust. Keep in mind the ice cream is sweet so you don’t want the coating overly sweet.
- I love cinnamon so I added even more, but adjust to your liking.
Tips to prep ahead: Grind pumpkin seeds to make coating.
Baby/toddler food idea: Great healthy version of fried ice cream for the kids. Make into smaller balls for little ones.
Calories: 66kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 6mg | Potassium: 51mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin C: 6.1mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 0.6mg