Vegan Mexican Chili Cheese Dip
Forget the unhealthy fat laden dips of the past. This vegan chili cheese dip has all the flavor with all the healthy benefits! Only whole foods in this vegan queso!
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts , soaked overnight (see note, I use NOW Foods brand)
- 1/2 cup French green dry uncooked lentils
- 1 3/4 cups veggie broth , low sodium if needed
- 1/2 cup veggie broth , low sodium if needed (to saute)
- 1/2 cup sweet or yellow onion , chopped
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes , chopped
- 4 ounces chopped green chiles (1 small can)
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (may need more or less depending on broth used)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional for spice, adjust for preferred spice level)
- 4 cups vegan cheese sauce
Using a food processor, pulse dry uncooked lentils until partially chopped and chunky. Set aside.
Next pulse walnuts until chopped into small pieces. Set aside.
In a large pan over medium heat, sauté chopped onion in 1/4 cup veggie broth until onion begins to get translucent. About 5 minutes.
Add walnuts and 2 more tablespoons broth and sauté 3 more minutes until mixture begins to caramelize.
Add chopped lentils and 2 more tablespoons broth to the pan and sauté for 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and chopped green chiles and sauté 2 more minutes.
Add 1 3/4 cups veggie broth and spices and mix well.
Cook covered for 10-15 minutes until lentils have softened and broth is almost gone. Uncover and turn heat to low.
Stir in cheese sauce and allow to bubble. Once bubbling, remove from heat and serve immediately.
You can keep warm in a crockpot. Serve with chips or just eat with a spoon.
Tips to prep ahead:
- Soaking the walnuts overnight helps soften them so they aren’t too crunchy in the overall recipe, however if you forget, you can also soak in hot water for 2-3 hours, boil for 30 minutes or not do anything and be okay with a slightly crunchier end result.
- You can use brown lentils instead of green but the green will cook a little more “al dente” than the brown.
- Make cheese sauce, chop onion, soak walnuts.
Calories: 335kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 838mg | Potassium: 1388mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 1929IU | Vitamin C: 60mg | Calcium: 48mg | Iron: 13mg