Vegan Hamburger Helper Cheeseburger Macaroni
Taking your favorite old school comfort food from bad to healthy. This vegan hamburger helper is made from all whole foods but you wouldn't know it!
Servings 6 servings
- 16 ounces macaroni pasta , gluten free if needed (I use Living Now Organic Quinoa Macaroni)
- 2 cups Ultimate Cheese Sauce , adjust this amount to make it as cheesy you prefer it
- ½ cup dried chickpeas , soaked overnight
- ¼ cup sweet or yellow onion , finely chopped
- veggie broth or drizzle of oil to sauté
- 1 cup veggie broth , low sodium if needed
- ½ cup diced roasted tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
Chop soaked chickpeas in a food processor until you get a nice crumble.
Saute onion with broth or oil until it gets translucent. Add the rest of the meaty crumble ingredients and mix well.
Cook over low heat for about 15-20 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated and the beans are cooked, stirring often. Watch closely because the beans can stick, especially if not using oil. If they begin to stick, lower heat and continue to mix.
Once done, add cheese sauce and mix well. You can add less or more cheese sauce to make it as cheesy as you prefer. I added 1 1/2 cups
Meanwhile, cook your favorite pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse, then add to the hamburger cheese mix. Stir to incorporate, plate and serve fresh!
Tips to prep ahead:
- The cheese sauce recipe makes 4 cups. Save the leftovers for another use, such as nachos, plain macaroni and cheese, a dip for veggies, cheese fries, etc. It also freezes well.
Baby/toddler food idea:
- Make cheese sauce. Soak chickpeas.
- Best kid food ever. Overcook pasta for young baby and mash well.
Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 654mg | Potassium: 898mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 34125IU | Vitamin C: 28.8mg | Calcium: 117mg | Iron: 2.7mg