BBQ Chickpea Sliders with Pineapple Slaw
Easy, fun and kid friendly, these BBQ sliders are the perfect dinner for a crazy day. They are filled with protein, flavorful and have amazing texture.
Servings 4 servings
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas , rinsed and drained (1 can)
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- sea salt , to taste
- 12 slider buns , gluten-free if needed
- 1 cup Pineapple Slaw (see recipe below)
- Roasted sunflower seeds , for serving (optional)
- ½ ripe avocado , mashed
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple , drained
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves , torn
- ½ tbsp agave
- 1 lime , juiced
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups purple cabbage , shredded
- sea salt and pepper , to taste
Make pineapple slaw:
Combine the mashed avocado, pineapple, cilantro, agave, lime juice and apple cider vinegar in a mixing bowl.
Whisk to combine, adding a bit of water to thin as necessary.
Once you have a nice creamy dressing, stir in the cabbage, toss to thoroughly combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Make BBQ chickpeas:
Add the chickpeas, BBQ sauce, garlic powder and chili powder to a saucepan.
Cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly and smashing about half of the chickpeas with the back of a fork or slotted spoon.
Add water 1 tablespoon (15 ml) at a time if the mixture starts sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
Remove from heat and season with salt to taste.
To assemble, spread a spoonful of the BBQ chickpeas on the bottom portion of a whole wheat slider bun. Top with a scoop of Pineapple Slaw and sprinkle with roasted sunflower seeds for some extra crunch, if desired.
- Nut-free, soy-free
- I added red onion to mine, because we love the bite, and only added pineapple to one batch since many of us don't always love fruit in our savory food.
- I also used my homemade BBQ sauce.
- From Frugal Vegan by Katie Koteen and Kate Kasbee, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017. Photo credit: Allie Lehman
Calories: 607kcal | Carbohydrates: 106g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 1298mg | Potassium: 757mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 715IU | Vitamin C: 37.4mg | Calcium: 213mg | Iron: 7.6mg