Easy, fun and kid friendly, these BBQ sliders are the perfect dinner for a crazy day. They are filled with protein, flavorful and have amazing texture!
My toughest eater ate 2 WHOLE SLIDERS. And asked me to make them again. Can I just stop here?
I received a free copy of Frugal Vegan to review, all opinions and text are all mine.
I had the honor to review the new cookbook, Frugal Vegan, by Katie Koteen and Kate Kasbee (even their names sound like they belong together!), and so far I am sold.
All the recipes are simple to throw together, low in cost, and taste amazing! These BBQ sliders hit it big time in my house. I usually sweat a little when I cook, my middle
monster angel tends to be a tad selective in his food.
Well, not only did he NOT throw the usual dinner tantrum, but...he. ate. seconds. I am still in shock.
A Fun Cookbook For Everyone!
Not only does this book have recipes that will get your stomach grumbling, I love the organization and the fun playful titles that they use (totally my personality soul sisters).
With chapters like "Carb Party," "Bring on the Bowls," "Best Dressed Salads," and "Get Sauced" (Still snorting with laughter over here on that one), how can you NOT want to get your hands on this book?! You'll be hooked on these BBQ sliders alone!
Recipes I plan to tackle after the BBQ sliders:
- Mushroom Stroganoff (Umm, this mushroom lover is drooling already)
- Penne with Pumpkin Cream Sauce (I. Die.)
- Pineapple Scones (It's like vacation in a scone)
- Salted Peanut Butter Popcorn (Holy hell I may just eat the page)
- Warm Apple Crisp (I'm a sucker for anything apple cinnamon, I have no will)
BBQ Chickpea Sliders with Pineapple Slaw
- ½ ripe avocado , mashed
- ⅓ cup crushed pineapple , drained
- 2 tablespoon cilantro leaves , torn
- ½ tablespoon agave
- 1 lime , juiced
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups purple cabbage , shredded
- sea salt and pepper , to taste
Make pineapple slaw:
- Combine the mashed avocado, pineapple, cilantro, agave, lime juice and apple cider vinegar in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk to combine, adding a bit of water to thin as necessary.
- Once you have a nice creamy dressing, stir in the cabbage, toss to thoroughly combine and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Make BBQ chickpeas:
- Add the chickpeas, BBQ sauce, garlic powder and chili powder to a saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly and smashing about half of the chickpeas with the back of a fork or slotted spoon.
- Add water 1 tablespoon (15 ml) at a time if the mixture starts sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Remove from heat and season with salt to taste.
- To assemble, spread a spoonful of the BBQ chickpeas on the bottom portion of a whole wheat slider bun. Top with a scoop of Pineapple Slaw and sprinkle with roasted sunflower seeds for some extra crunch, if desired.
- Nut-free, soy-free
- I added red onion to mine, because we love the bite, and only added pineapple to one batch since many of us don't always love fruit in our savory food.
- I also used my homemade BBQ sauce.
- From Frugal Vegan by Katie Koteen and Kate Kasbee, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017. Photo credit: Allie Lehman
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.
Nutrition and metric information should be considered an estimate.
These look seriously delicious, great review the book sounds so much fun!
Another super simple, healthy, and delicious meal! A unique flavor combo to add to the rotation. I cheated and used TJ's pineapple salsa for an even easier slaw dressing 😉 Thank you for the suggestion last month!
Thank you Kelly!! This is literally a weekly go to for us. It's from a cookbook from a fellow author, and my kids love it! I think your idea of the TJ salsa is amazing!! Totally stealing that for next time!
Woah! This looks really good and made me crave for a really good bbq slider. Thank ful that I have ingredients readily available. Will make one later today. Thank you for sharing this exciting recipe.
Amy Katz from Veggies Save The Day
I love this cookbook! This recipe is on my list of recipes to try. Looks amazing!
Isn't it great?!
You know I love me some chickpeas! These looks fab and so easy! That pineapple slaw sounds amazing!
It was so good! Chickpeas are the best!
Mary Ellen | VNutrition
These look so delicious! Chickpeas are my favorite. 🙂
And the book sounds amazing, I may have to get that one!
It's a perfect book to pull out on those busy nights!
OMG what!?! BBQ chickpeas, genius!!
They were SO good!
Anjali @ Vegetarian Gastronomy
Love these simple sliders and love their cookbook!
These sandwiches look delicious and I love subbing chickpeas in recipes - brilliant! Pinning this for dinner next week, thanks!
Aren't chickpeas the best?! I love them for both flavor and texture but also because they can take on so many different kinds of flavors! Let me know if you try it!
Oh man these look so good. I love your photography!
Thank you so much Brandi! You are too kind!
These wouldn't last long at my house. Saving this for later 🙂
Oh they didn't! LOL!
I've been trying to eat more plant based dinners. This recipe looks like it would be a great one to add to the list!
This would be a perfect easy recipe to add to your list!
This was a fantastic my brother said that this was the best sandwich he has ever had!!! And I agree.
Awesome! We love this one too! So simple and good.