Vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Creamy vegan butternut squash soup with coconut milk is the perfect fall meal. Flavorful with few ingredients and super easy to make!
- 5 cups chopped butternut squash (a small squash about 1.75 lbs)
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- 5 cloves garlic , medium sized (adjust for your preferred garlic flavor)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 10-12 sprigs thyme , about a 1 inch diameter bunch (see note)
- 2 ¼ cups lite coconut milk (about 1 1/2 13.6 fluid ounce/403 ml cans)
- 2 cups veggie broth , low sodium if needed
Preheat the oven to 450 F/ 230 C
Mix the squash, shallots and garlic with the smoked paprika and salt.
Put the mixture on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Top with the thyme sprigs.
Bake for 35 minutes until the squash is cooked and brown on the edges.
Remove the thyme sprigs, and put the rest into a blender with the coconut milk.
Blend until smooth.
If your blender is big enough, add the broth and blend until hot.
If your blender is not big enough, pour the mixture into a pot and add the broth to the pot. Heat on the stove over medium low heat until warm.
Serve, add toppings and dippers too!
- This makes 6 cups. The serving size is 1 1/2 cups. Adjust depending on what course you serve this as.
- I love garlic but if you do not like too much then reduce the amount.
- For the thyme, you want to sperate the pieces so they cover the top of the veggies on the pan like in the photo.
- Bonus Tip: If you are warming the soup in a pot, after pouring the mixture into the pot, pour the broth in the blender and blend to get the last bits of soup that are stuck to the blender walls. This also helps clean the blender a bit. Then pour the broth into the pot.
Calories: 183kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 607mg | Potassium: 669mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 19215IU | Vitamin C: 41.9mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 1.9mg