Vegan Caramelized Onion Gravy
4 ingredients away from a flavorful make ahead gravy. No need to sit and stir until thick, because this vegan gravy is made in a blender!
- 3 cups thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- more veggie broth to sauté or your favorite oil
- 1 ½ cups veggie broth , low sodium if needed
- ½ cup cooked potato , adjust for desired gravy thickness
- Serve with Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
Sauté the onions with the salt and broth or oil over medium low heat until brown, sticky and caramelized. This took me about 30 minutes for the perfect flavor, but taste and judge for yourself. My onions cooked down to about a ½ cup.
Put the onions along with the rest of the ingredients into a blender and blend on high until smooth and thick. Add more broth for a less pronounced flavor if you prefer, and add more potatoes for a thicker gravy.
- Use the cooked potatoes from the batch you are using to make mashed potatoes.
- I measured my sliced onions loosely packed.
- You can make this ahead of time, or even freeze.
- To make this really hands off, try cooking the onions in a slow cooker on low for 10 hours. I did not try this but a reader did and said it worked great.
- Makes about 2 cups, serving size is 1/4 cup
Calories: 25kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 291mg | Potassium: 92mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 3.3mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 0.2mg