You are 4 ingredients away from a flavorful make ahead gravy that will knock the socks off your guests. No need to sit and stir until thick, because this vegan gravy is made in a blender!
I love the flavor of caramelized onions more than anything. That sweet sticky goodness has a depth of yumminess I can’t resist. So I knew that I had to go there with my vegan gravy this year.
This was a crap shoot of a trial, but it worked on the first go! The flavor was unreal, and my secret trick to getting it thickened perfectly even blew me away!
How do you thicken vegan gravy?
Traditionally, you add a thickener, usually some sort of flour or starch, and you sit and stir and stir and stir. Until it gets thick. But I have another trick.
Potatoes. Say what?! Yep, I mean we are all making mashed potatoes anyway right (see my new incredibly easy and creamy vegan mashed potatoes here)?
I have used potatoes in my vegan cheese sauces for that perfectly thick texture, so it got me thinking.
And I was right. No more flour. No more being mad that you have to stand there and stir until the darn gravy thickens or doesn’t thicken right. Just throw it all into a blender and blend! This also makes this vegan gravy naturally gluten free.
Can vegans eat gravy?
Absolutely. As long as it isn’t gravy made from meat drippings or broth, like the usual recipe, and as long as it doesn’t use butter or dairy.
In this gravy, I get the flavor from caramelized onions. No meat or butter needed.
Can you prep this gravy ahead of time?
Yes! This is easy to make the day before and keep in the fridge until ready to use. When you are ready, all you need to do is put it in a pan and reheat it so that it thins back out. Because potatoes are the base, it will thicken when cold.
You can also easily warm it up in the microwave. If you don’t use it all, you can freeze it for later use.
How To Make Easy Vegan Gravy
- Caramelize onions in a pan
- Throw everything in a blender and blend
It really is that easy! Just grab the potatoes from the cooked batch you have going for those mashed potatoes, so no extra work needed! It’s so easy and so dang good. I can’t even stand it!
Vegan Caramelized Onion Gravy
- Sauté the onions with the salt and broth or oil over medium low heat until brown, sticky and caramelized. This took me about 30 minutes for the perfect flavor, but taste and judge for yourself. My onions cooked down to about a ½ cup.
- Put the onions along with the rest of the ingredients into a blender and blend on high until smooth and thick. Add more broth for a less pronounced flavor if you prefer, and add more potatoes for a thicker gravy.
- Use the cooked potatoes from the batch you are using to make mashed potatoes.
- I measured my sliced onions loosely packed.
- You can make this ahead of time, or even freeze.
- To make this really hands off, try cooking the onions in a slow cooker on low for 10 hours. I did not try this but a reader did and said it worked great.
- Makes about 2 cups, serving size is 1/4 cup
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.