Healthy Vegan Apple Crisp (Gluten-Free)
This healthy vegan apple crisp uses simple whole food ingredients and is out of this world delicious! You'd never know it's also gluten free!
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup cashew butter , I use NOW Foods salted caramel infused
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 ½ cups peeled chopped red apples , about 2 medium sized apples
- You can also add in an optional 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon for added flavor , optional
- Vanilla ice cream , vegan to keep this vegan
- Dairy free whipped cream , I use this homemade vegan version
- Make extra filling (minus the chopped apple) and drizzle on top like caramel
Preheat oven to 350 F/175 C
Mix the maple syrup, cashew butter and sea salt in a large bowl until blended and caramel like.
Add in the apples and coat well. Pour the mix into a square baking dish (8 or 9 inch works).
Add all topping ingredients in a food processor and pulse until incorporated. You can also simply mix them in a bowl if you don’t mind the whole oats.
Using your hands, drop pieces of the topping over the apple, covering them evenly. It doesn’t have to be pretty, just covered lightly.
Bake at 350 F/175 C for 35 minutes or until beginning to brown on top. Do not over bake or it will dry out.
Serve fresh with toppings of choice!
Tips to prep ahead:
- You can use plain cashew butter with equal success, I just love the added flavor of the NOW infused cashew butter.
- The easiest way to peel the apples is with a vegetable peeler, it keeps the most meat and gets rid of the skin.
- You can make each part ahead of time then bring to room temp before building and baking.
Calories: 374kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 183mg | Potassium: 358mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 31g | Vitamin A: 20IU | Vitamin C: 1.6mg | Calcium: 72mg | Iron: 2.3mg