This elote street corn salad recipe has charred corn, creamy dairy free cheese, tangy lime juice, and a burst of spices for flavor in every bite.
This Mexican inspired salad is so easy to make and the perfect dish to share with others. The sweet, savory, and zesty flavor is amazing and goes with anything!
This post was originally published on June 3, 2021.
We love all things Mexican, especially when they are versatile. The best thing about this elote corn salad is that it is great on it's own or even inside vegan tacos!
This Mexican street corn salad recipe is inspired by the ever popular dish Elote, or Mexican Street Corn. The traditional dish features corn on the cob rolled in a variety of delicious toppings. This recipe deconstructs that into an off the cob version that can be served as an entree, side dish, or condiment.
These are the healthy ingredients you need to make this easy Elote salad recipe:
- Roasted corn
- Red onion
- Green onion
- Vegan cotija or feta cheese
- Lime juice
How to Make Mexican Corn Salad
This vegan Elote salad is seriously too easy to make! Here are the simple steps to take:
- Put everything into a bowl.
- Mix well to combine.
Add some extra flavor and toppings to your salad with these optional add-ins:
This street corn salad can be served on its own as a complete meal. However, it also makes a great accompaniment to these other recipes:
Tips and tricks
As simple as this Mexican corn salad recipe is, it's always helpful to have some extra information:
- Make your own fresh roasted corn by baking four ears of corn and slicing the kernels off the cob after cooking.
- or, you can buy frozen roasted corn.
- To make this salad spicier, add more jalapeños or use a more spicy pepper like serrano.
- Make this dish ahead of time! Store the salad in the fridge, and wait to add the avocado until just before serving.
- If you omit the avocado, this Mexican corn salad will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. The avocado will begin to turn brown after about 24 hours.
Use it to make everything delicious! I love using Vegan Cotija as a topping for tacos, rice, beans, on corn on the cob, and in this Mexican street corn salad.
Mexican corn, or elotes, is made by coating grilled corn in mayonnaise seasoned with lime juice and chili powder, then rolling it in cotija and cilantro.
So many dishes! It goes fabulously with tacos, enchiladas, rice, or beans.
Corn salad will keep in the fridge for up to 3-4 days without the avocado. The avocado will begin to brown after 24 hours.
More Vegan Mexican Recipes
This easy Mexican street corn recipe isn't the only one up my sleeve, like I said, we love Mexican food in our house! Here are some more of our favorite recipes:
Elote Street Corn Salad Recipe
- 3 cups roasted corn , 16 ounces frozen or cut from about 4 ears
- ¾ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup sliced green onion
- ½ cup avocado , cubed
- ½ -1 cup vegan cotija or feta cheese , depending on how creamy you like it (homemade or store bought)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno , chopped
- 2-4 tablespoons fresh lime juice , depending on how much lime flavor you want
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder or smoked paprika
- Black beans
- Red pepper
- Put everything into a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Adjust the flavors to match what you prefer.
- We love it tangy so used all 4 tablespoons of the lime juice.
- You can add beans to make this a full meal.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.