Who’s ready to rock 2017?! I know I am! This is your year friends, time to focus on you. And a great start is filling your body with amazing whole foods. That’s where I come in, my goal this year is to bring you easy delicious recipes that will make your body smile (more on that in another post). So when I got the opportunity to share this book by Ashley Melillo, the creator of Blissful Basil, I jumped at it. I just love Ashley’s story and all she has to offer, starting with this carrot bisque. Soup season is in full force and you’ll want this to be part of it!
One of my favorite things about this book is the focus on finding your inner bliss. How many times, especially us moms, have we put our own happiness second to focus on someone else? More than I’m able to admit. Well not anymore, because when mom isn’t in a good place, the whole family falls apart! You can’t help others until you help yourself. This book is a great place to start in the quest for inner happiness!
This carrot bisque is filled with so many flavors. I am a huge cilantro fan and I love that it’s included in this soup, in both the fresh form and the dried coriander seeds. I also love that she adds potatoes, they are such a great way to get a soup hearty and add some creamy undertones. A surprising ingredient though is the orange juice. I was skeptical at first but I loved the tang it gave. Kind of like the same tang vinegar would add but a great touch of sweet that goes amazing with the carrots. There is also a bit of fresh ginger to top off the flavor profile. So pretty much this is heaven in a bowl.
And it doesn’t stop here with the amazing recipes! The great news is that now YOU have a chance to win a copy. Scroll down, find the giveaway and enter, stat! And here are a few more incredible recipes to get you excited!
Other great recipes from the Blissful Basil cookbook:
- Seasonal Fruit Crisp: Apple-Almond and Blackberry-Sunflower
- The Classic Power Bowl: Spicy Cauliflower Rice, Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Avocado Mash
- Double-Chocolate Hazelnut Espresso Smoothie
- Easy Does It Sunday Evening Chili
Carrot and Coriander Bisque by Blissful Basil
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced (about 1½ cups)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups peeled and diced carrots about 5 medium carrots
- 2 cups peeled and diced Yukon gold potatoes about 2 medium potatoes
- 1 cup fresh or 100 percent pure orange juice plus more if desired
- 2 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro stemmed
- 1 –1½ teaspoons sea salt or to taste
- Fresh cilantro stemmed (optional garnish)
- Pomegranate seeds optional garnish
- Heat the coconut oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 6 minutes, or until soft and just beginning to turn golden brown and caramelized.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, carrots, potatoes, orange juice, ginger, and coriander. Bring to a boil, decrease the heat, and simmer, covered, for 35–40 minutes, or until the carrots and potatoes are very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro and sea salt. Use an immersion blender* to carefully blend the mixture until smooth (about 4–6 minutes). It’s okay if tiny flecks of cilantro are still visible, but you want to get it as silky smooth as possible.
- Taste and season with more sea salt if desired. For an added pop of brightness, stir in another tablespoon or two of orange juice.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with more cilantro and pomegranate seeds, if desired.
Copyright © 2016, Ashley Melillo.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.