This vegan carrot soup is such a great family meal. It's flavorful but not overpowering and filled with veggies for a perfect healthy meal!
This post was originally published on January 9, 2017.
This is a cookbook review written by me on behalf of Ashley Melillo, for which I received a free copy of the book. All the opinions and text are all mine.
If you're looking for a veggie filled soup that's super family friendly and easy for kids to eat, this is a great option! It's easy to make and customize!
I love that this soup recipe uses fresh, flavorful, and healthy ingredients!
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Orange juice
- Vegetable Broth
How To Make Vegan Carrot Soup
Sure the flavor is great, but even better is how easy this soup is to make!
- Blend with an immersion blender.
- Top and serve!
This recipe comes from the Blissful Basil Cookbook by Ashley Melillo, the creator of Blissful Basil, I just love Ashley's story and all she has to offer.
One of my favorite things about this book is the focus on finding your inner bliss. How many times, especially us moms, have we put our own happiness second to focus on someone else? More than I'm able to admit. Listen to my podcast episode all about burnout to hear more!
This carrot bisque is filled with so many flavors. I am a huge cilantro fan and I love that it's included in this soup, in both the fresh form and the dried coriander seeds. I also love that she adds potatoes, they are such a great way to get a soup hearty and add some creamy undertones.
If you want to check out more recipes from her book, you can find it on Amazon and many other major retailers.
Try topping this vegan carrot soup with any of these:
- Vegan sour cream
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Chickpea Vegan Sausage Crumbles
- Fresh cilantro
- Pomegranate seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Pine nuts
- Sliced shallots
- Red pepper flakes
Tips and tricks
For best results, keep the following in mind:
- Refrigerate leftovers, covered, for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- You can make this oil free by sautéing the onion with broth instead of coconut oil.
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully ladle the soup into a blender in small batches and blend until smooth. Be very careful as the soup will be hot.
- You can customize this soup to fit your family's taste. I omitted the orange juice and reduced the amount of ginger and coriander.
- Because this soup stores well, it's a great make ahead recipe for easy. meals.
Yes! Make sure the soup has cooled, then transfer to a freezer safe airtight container. You can freeze it for up to one month. Defrost before reheating on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Carrots are a great source of fiber, antioxidants, vitamin K1, and potassium. They've been shown to reduce cholesterol and even help to prevent heart disease! Mixed with more healthy veggies, carrot soup makes an excellently healthy. meal!
Nope! Mot soup recipes, including this one, cook long enough to tenderize the carrots. So, no need for extra steps, making our lives even easier!
Recipes To Serve With Carrot Soup
Make it a complete meal with any of these vegan recipes:
- Lentil Quinoa Salad
- Vegan Greek Farro Salad
- Grilled Romaine Salad with Vegan Caesar Dressing
- Avocado Kale Salad with Butternut Squash
- Apple, Arugula and Smoky Tempeh Sandwich
- BLTA the Vegan Way
Healthy Vegan Carrot Soup
- Blender or immersion blender
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil , use broth for oil free
- 1 medium yellow onion , diced (about 1½ cups)
- 4 cups vegetable broth , low-sodium if needed
- 3 cups peeled and diced carrots , about 5 medium carrots
- 2 cups peeled and diced Yukon gold potatoes , about 2 medium potatoes
- 1 cup fresh or 100 percent pure orange juice , plus more if desired (see note)
- 2 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro , stemmed
- 1–1½ teaspoons sea salt , or to taste
- Fresh cilantro , stemmed
- Pomegranate seeds
- Heat the coconut oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 6 minutes, or until soft and just beginning to turn golden brown and caramelized.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, carrots, potatoes, orange juice, ginger, and coriander. Bring to a boil, decrease the heat, and simmer, covered, for 35–40 minutes, or until the carrots and potatoes are very tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro and sea salt. Use an immersion blender to carefully blend the mixture until smooth (about 4–6 minutes). It’s okay if tiny flecks of cilantro are still visible, but you want to get it as silky smooth as possible.
- Taste and season with more sea salt if desired. For an added pop of brightness, stir in another tablespoon or two of orange juice.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with more cilantro and pomegranate seeds, if desired.
- I customized this soup and left out the orange juice and put less ginger and coriander to fit my families tastes.
- Refrigerate leftovers, covered, for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 1 month. You can make this oil free by sautéing the onion with broth instead of coconut oil.
- No Immersion Blender? If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully ladle the soup into a blender in small batches and blend until smooth. Be very careful as the soup will be hot.
- Nutrition facts are for the oil free version
Copyright © 2016, Ashley Melillo.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.