This vegan chocolate peanut butter ice cream is easy to make and so rich and satisfying! A perfect healthy treat for the whole family.
Ice cream is a year round treat for our family so I am always coming up with new flavors and ways to make homemade dairy free versions.
My original vegan chocolate ice cream and my peanut butter banana nice cream are huge hits so here is a version that combine those two using peanut butter and chocolate!
Here is what I use:
- Coconut milk
- Cocoa powder
- Peanut butter
- Coconut oil
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla extract
- Sea salt
How to Make Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
This recipe is so easy to make! Here is what you do:
- Blend everything until smooth.
- Add to an ice cream maker if you have one.
- If you don't have an ice cream maker, simply put it in a freezer safe container and mix it around every 30-40 minutes.
This rich smooth vegan ice cream is a nut based dairy free version of my favorite flavors combined, chocolate and peanut butter. I mostly sweetened it with dates and a touch of maple syrup.
Cacao powder gives it a rich chocolaty taste and the smooth creamy peanut butter really puts it over the top!
This recipe was originally created for my friend Kate from Highlights Along the Way (previously called Catching Up With Kate), but has been updated some. To see the original recipe see her website.
Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- ice cream maker optional
- 1 can full fat coconut milk , gives about 1 ½- 2 cups
- 1 cup raw cashews , see note
- 1 ½ cups cocoa or cacao powder
- ½ cup unsalted smooth peanut butter
- ¼ cup coconut oil , see note
- 15-20 Medjool dates , depending on desired sweetness (see note)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract , or seeds from one vanilla bean
- 1 pinch sea salt
For ice cream maker version:
- Add the liquid into an ice cream maker and churn until frozen.
For freezer version:
- Put into a freezer safe container and put in the freezer.
- Every 30-40 minutes, use a spoon to mix the contents around. You are sort of mimicking what an ice cream maker does.
- After about 2-3 hours, you will have hard ice cream but soft enough to serve! Your freezer temp may vary so it may take longer. Keep going until frozen.
- If you don’t have a high speed blender, soak the cashews overnight to soften them. You can also boil them for 20-25 minutes if you forget. Another method is using a coffee or spice grinder to grind them dry (not soaking) into a very fine powder.
- You can remove the coconut oil or sub with coconut butter if you don't use oil but the texture will change some.
- You can adjust sweetness by adding more or less dates, I used 10 Medjool dates.
- This makes about 5 cups. Serving size is ½ cup.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.
Nutrition and metric information should be considered an estimate.
Hi Sophia, I can't get the link to work. Can you help me find the recipe? Thanks
Hi Sue! This is a very very old recipe, so I just went in and updated it for you and added the recipe to the post itself to make it easier. Enjoy!
You had me at chocolate...and peanut butter 🙂 Recipe sounds so creamy and delicious!!
Lol! Thank you Mandy!! I'm a chocolate peanut butter lover for sure!!
Oh man, that looks amazing!!! I've been wondering what to do with my ice cream maker -- this is perfect! 🙂
Ha! Thank you! Let me know how you like it!
Beautiful photos! Also... *drool*
Lol! Thank you!!