This red enchilada sauce is super quick and easy! With a smokey base and the perfect tang from tomatoes, you'll wonder why you ever spent money on the store-bought sauce.
This recipe was originally published on
It may come as a surprise, but a really good enchilada sauce is not cheap. Go to the grocery store and check it out if you don't believe me! Because I love sauce (I know, you're so surprised), I was using two packets anytime I needed enchilada sauce. That adds up pretty quickly, so I knew I needed to find a way to make this at home.
Red Enchilada Sauce
Enchilada sauce is really easy to make, so there's no reason to not make it at home. I'm not lying when this sauce only takes 10 minutes to make. It comes together so quickly, you're going to love it!
What is red enchilada sauce made of?
All you need is tomato sauce, veggie broth, apple cider vinegar, and some seasonings.
Is red chile sauce the same as enchilada sauce?
These sauces are VERY similar. But enchilada sauce is made with tomatoes and red chile sauce is made with, you guessed it, red chiles. What you prefer depends on your taste!
What is the difference between red enchilada sauce and green enchilada sauce?
This really just depends on the chilis you use. For red sauce, you'd use red chilis (whole, crushed or powdered) and for green sauce, you'd use green chilis (whole, crushed, powdered). Again, what your tastes prefer is up to you!
How do you thicken enchilada sauce?
In this version, I use brown rice flour to thicken it. Nothing else is needed because this sauce should be nice and thick on its own, if you prefer a thinner sauce, add less veggie broth or don't cook as long to reduce. Pretty simple!
How long does enchilada sauce last?
When stored properly in the fridge, this sauce should last about a week!
This sauce can easily be doubled (just double your ingredients), you could also freeze some to use later on! Just make sure you freeze it already cooled down and in a freezer-safe container. I like to put some plastic wrap over the top of my frozen sauces to help prevent ice crystals from forming.
How To Make Red Enchilada Sauce
- Whisk to combine ingredients.
- Simmer until desired thickness is reached and enjoy in your favorite dishes!
Curious about what you should serve enchilada sauce over? Check out these recipes below:
Quick and Easy Red Enchilada Sauce
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cup veggie broth , low sodium if needed
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon brown rice flour , or regular flour if not concerned about gluten free
- Place ingredients into a pot and whisk until combined. Place pot on stove top and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer slowly until cooked down by ½ or until thickened to liking. Use for recipes, as a dip or as a drizzle over main dishes.
- While cooking, the more you reduce the more concentrated the flavors will be, so if you prefer a milder flavor don’t reduce as much.
- This makes about 2 cups sauce. Serving size is ¼ cup.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.