A touch of sweet, a touch of tang, apple cinnamon and date make the perfect taste of fall. A cross between a muffin and a scone, so delicious!
A few weeks ago, my fabulous sister made me some Berry Scuffins from the site of the wonderful Dreena Burton and her Plant Powered Kitchen. I saw Dreena post these beauties and my pregnant morning sickness induced self just had to have them.
Well, they were as amazing as they looked! I loved the texture, somewhat of a cross between a muffin and a scone, just like the title implies. A little chewy, a little dry. But a lot delicious! I knew that I had to create more…
As fall shows hints of approach here in the never ending summer of southern California, I’m taking the opportunity to dive into my fall recipe creating now that I am starting to feel better.
Apple Cinnamon Perfection
First on my list were these scuffins made with the organic apples my boys collected from the apple picking farm they visited last weekend. Apple Cinnamon is an obvious fall flavor, but I love it nonetheless!
Sticking to my desire to sweeten all my desserts with dates, I added some chunky date paste to these instead of the maple syrup in the original recipe. I love that these treats aren’t super sweet and have a hint of tartness.
Depending on the type of apples you use, you can change the flavor. I used the sweetest reds of the big bag we had, but any type would work. Overall they were a huge hit with my family! We loved them at breakfast alongside one of our delicious smoothies!
More Sweet Treats You Might Like;
- Vegan blueberry French toast breakfast muffins
- Blueberry muffin pancakes
- Oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough balls
- Vegan gluten free apple cinnamon scones with cinnamon glaze
Apple Cinnamon Date Scuffins
- 1 ½ cups gluten free oat flour regular oat flour works too
- ¾ cup gluten free rolled oats regular oats work too
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup plain non dairy yogurt
- ½ cup date paste leave chunky
- ¼ -½ cup non dairy milk
- 1 ¼ cup chopped sweet red apples
- coconut palm sugar sucanat or other unrefined sugar as topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Combine flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine yogurt, date paste and milk and mix well. Add in flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in apples.
- Place large spoonfuls of the batter on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle tops with optional unrefined sugar and bake for 15-18 minutes, or until set or firm to the touch. Let cool before eating.
- Use my recipe for date paste but when blending, let the mixture be a little chunky versus totally smooth. This gives the scuffins a few date pieces in them.
- For the milk, begin by using ¼ cup and add more, one tablespoon at a time, if the mixture is too thick when combined.
- If your yogurt and/or date paste is thick, you will probably need more milk however if it is a little runny then you may not.
- Also, plain flavor yogurt is preferred but if using vanilla flavor then cut down the date paste so the end result isn’t too sweet.
- I used organic red apples for this but any variety will work. I also wanted these to have a lot of apple flavor so you can always cut down on the amount.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.