A flavor and creaminess that will blow your mind. You will not believe this vegan tomato bisque is a healthy all in one meal filled with veggies and protein!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of NOW Foods. The opinions and text are all mine.
"This stuff needs to be bottled up and sold." Direct quote from my mom. Now I'm not quite so sure about that, but I am sure that this is one of my family's favorite soups ever. I have made this almost every week for the past month, and other than the 2 year old (who is a 50/50 on pretty much life right now), everyone else has been devouring it every time.
This vegan tomato bisque blows my mind!
I call this a bisque because it's no wimpy soup. It's thick, it's chunky, its filled with amazingness. This is a full meal that's not going to leave you hungry 20 minutes later. Especially if you load it with all the awesome toppings. It's both the perfect comfort food and the perfect health food, I love it when that happens!
I played with this recipe for a while. I had a specific flavor that I was going for, not just any old tomato soup flavor. And I also wanted the prefect texture, super smooth soups aren't usually my favorite. The end result was perfection, the list of fabulous qualities goes on and on:
- made in 30 minutes
- filled with 4 different hidden veggies
- protein is covered so an all in one meal
- chunky filling texture
- thick and creamy
- much healthier than standard bisque
- sprinkled with vegan grateable Parmesan
- topped with crunchy sesame sticks for even more texture
- freezable for easy meals on busy nights
But those toppings though
On it's own this soup is fantastic. But add the optional toppings, and we're talking unreal. The first give-in was my Grateable Vegan Parmesan. Have you seen it yet? It's insane. The tang on top of the flavors in this vegan tomato bisque are close your eyes as you eat amazing. You should always have this parm on hand.
I'm also a sucker for textures, there is nothing more amazing that the soft and crunchy combo in one. Which is why I paired this chunky soup with some fun toppings! I tried a variety of stuff: pretzels, chips, croutons...and landed on these fun little sesame sticks from NOW Foods. They come in 3 different flavors, so you can change it up whenever you want!
They are super crunchy and I love that they don't get soggy the minute you put them in. I literally gag at soggy carbs. I simply can't do it, so a standard cracker just isn't my cup of tea. Plus the cajun flavor gives the soup a little kick and everything is better with spice!
Are you drooling yet? I can't even stand it. I have exactly 30 minutes before I have to go so it looks like another pot of chunky vegan tomato bisque is on the docket. C'mon and get on this soup train with me!
Chunky Vegan Tomato Bisque with Hidden Veggies
- 1 cup shallots , finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic , finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- splash veggie broth to saute , low sodium if needed (you can use a drizzle of oil instead)
- ½ cup white cooking wine or sherry
- 1 cup celery , roughly chopped
- 1 cup carrots , roughly chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower , roughly chopped
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 cans diced tomatoes , 28 ounce each
- 4 cups veggie broth , divided, low sodium if needed
- ½ cup fresh basil , plus extra for garnish
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes , in water or dried (not in oil)
- Top with Grateable Parmesan Cheese optional
- Crunchy toppings like sesame sticks or pretzels
- 1 cup raw cashews (see note)
- 1 cup cooked white beans , rinsed and drained
- 1 cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté shallots and garlic with ½ teaspoon sea salt and broth (or oil) for 2 to 3 minutes until they begin to get soft.
- Add wine or sherry and sauté until wine is reduced by half.
- Meanwhile put celery, carrots, cauliflower, tomatoes, one 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes and 2 cups broth in a blender and pulse until pureed but still a bit chunky.
- Pour into the pot with the shallots.
- Put second can of diced tomatoes, last 2 cups of broth, and sun dried tomatoes in the blender and pulse until the sundried tomatoes are finely chopped. Add basil and pulse again until chopped.
- Pour mixture into the pot. Cook uncovered over medium heat while you make the cream.
- Meanwhile make cream by adding all ingredients into the blender (you don’t have to clean it) and puree until creamy and smooth.
- Add the cream to the pot and stir until fully mixed in.
- Serve hot in bowls. Top with Parmesan and crunchy toppings and devour!
- Nutrition info is for soup only, it does not include toppings.
- Measure veggies in heaping cups.
- If you are not using a high speed blender you can either soak the cashews overnight or grind them into a fine powder using a coffee grinder.
- Chop all veggies. Make Parmesan.
- Cook well for baby. Great toddler food.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.
Nutrition and metric information should be considered an estimate.
This has a really good creamy tomato flavor - an almost cheesy flavor, even without the Parmesan! My husband and I both enjoyed it as a bisque; however, he commented on how thick it was and suggested that we could also use it as a pasta sauce. We tossed some leftovers on whole grain pasta, and it was delicious! Thanks for a recipe packed with veggies and protein!
Hi Sara! So happy to hear! Yes, it is definitely a thicker soup and is great with pasta! I put pasta in it for my kids so I know it would be great the other way around! Thanks so much for being a reader!
this is OH SO GOOD! My husband and kids request this one, it's that good! and I think its delicious , and I love that most of the chopping is done by the blender. HOLLA!
Oh thank you so much Amanda!! I so appreciate the feedback and support!
i just realized i went all winter without making tomato soup! need to remedy that ASAP 🙂
Yes you do!! You will LOVE this one!
Thanks gorgeous girl x
The Vegan 8
You know I'm a HUGE soup fan and I'm loving all of these veggies stuffed in here, major yummo! I literally, no lie, just finished a bowl of my tomato bisque for lunch, lmao! Need to try this sometime for sure! I just saw Amanda's comment, awww, so happy she found you! That is the sweet reader I told you about that found your site from my burrito post. She has been a longtime reader for so long and always is so sweet to leave feedback!
The Vegan 8
And I'm glad I saw her comment because it reminded me I forgot to respond to hers about your burritos, lmao!! xx
Thank you so much girl! We have been eating this like weekly over here. My entire family LOVES it and can't get enough. And it has been unusually cold so the perfect food! And yes, Amanda is so so sweet! Taking the time to leave such a nice review made my day 🙂
I just made this and tasted the final product. It is AMAZING! Like crazy delicious. People, Make this now! Sophia, I also made your chile rellenos burrito from vegan 8's website. That was crying-tears-of joy-that plant-based-could-this-good delicious. So many vegan recipes are just ok, not yours, my dear!
OMG Amanda! You totally made my night! Thank you so so much. I'm so thrilled you like the soup! And the burritos. Those are my favorite recipe in my book. In fact, I'm making them tomorrow!! Thank you so much for being a reader!
Cassie Thuvan Tran
This soup looks so nice! I love the idea of adding something super crunchy on top of the soup. Texture is super important when it comes to making a tasty meal!
Thanks Cassie! I agree, texture is everything to me!
Haha!!! Well, I have a five year old who’s 50/50 on just about everything right now, so I can relate ? I’m very certain I would inhale a large bowl of this and then go back for seconds! I love soups that are so thick they could easily be a dip/sauce. The texture looks incredible and I’m really loving the ingredient list...jam packed with loads of veggies AND protein!! I’m right there with you on the soggy carbs (eeeewww!) so those sesame sticks sound like a perfect topping! Can’t wait to make this!! ❤️
Ha!! You never know with these littles! Thanks so much Mandy. You will love this! So full of veggies and amazingly flavorful. I'm not sure if you're doing beans yet, but you can sub those in the cream with all cashews or even potato. Let me know if you try it!
Sophia!!!!! We made this for dinner today and OMG!! I’m in LOVE!! What I loved about it: the flavor, the fact that there are loads of veggies, and most of all...how it made a giant pot! Which means leftovers for a couple days!!! And soup just gets better as leftovers! I didn’t have your delicious Parmesan to top it with (next time), but we had lots fresh basil to add and we roasted up some potato wedges to go along with it...which I happily dipped in the soup. For Willow, I blended the soup until it was super smooth and she gave it a thumbs up!! Awesome recipe, my friend!! ❤️
Thank you so much Mandy!! I am so happy you all loved it. The potato wedges sound amazing to dip inside! Thank you so much for you awesome review!!
Can't wait to try this!
Yay!! Can't wait for you to try it either!
I just made it! I love it. Anticipating a big nor'easter tomorrow, and this just hits the spot. Just finished my second bowl, actually! Thanks so much for your website. I've tried several of your recipes and plan to try many more!
That is so great to hear Emilie!! Not about the nor'easter but the soup, LOL! I'm so happy you liked the soup as much as we do!
I've made this soup 3 or 4 times now, and it's so yummy. I just finished up some I found in my freezer. I've really enjoyed your recipes from the blog, and just got your cookbook. Can't wait to get going on some of those!
Hi Emilie! Thank you so much for the great review! I am so happy you love the soup. And thank you for your support and buying my book! I hope you love it. If you do I would love a review on Amazon! Thank you again!
Will do! Got my eye on quite a few to try out. I've already made the fall harvest burrito since it was on the blog. Once glance & I knew it would be amazing, and it was. 🙂
Oh yay!! So happy you loved it! Thank you so much!
This is one of my favorite dinners you’ve made. It’s so filling which surprised me with all the healthy veggies in it.