Vegan broccoli cheddar soup so rich creamy cheesy and delicious without any dairy! Made with 9 simple ingredients in only 30 minutes!
This recipe us a huge family favorite and the flavor is incredible. You won't believe how cheesy it is made with healthy whole foods! The secret is my combination of two cheesy ingredients.
This post was originally published on December 25, 2021.
I have always loved broccoli cheddar soup but it never left me feeling great. So I knew I had to create my own version that was loved by both my taste buds and belly!
Creating healthy habits like including more veggies into your meals is so important for overall health and wellness. This vegan cheddar broccoli soup is a great recipe to start with! Make up this delicious family friendly meal easily in just 30 minutes.
I skipped the dairy and made this easy vegan broccoli cheese soup without cream, and instead used all plant based ingredients. It is much healthier and easier on the stomach, without sacrificing any flavor! And, while most vegan soup recipes use nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor, you won't find any here!
- Broccoli - fresh broccoli crowns chopped up are best, to make it extra easy you can buy pre washed and cut broccoli at the store! You can even swap out a cup of broccoli for cauliflower if you wanted without changing the flavor too much.
- Onion - select a sweet or yellow onion, their taste will not overpower the other flavors.
- Carrots - these add a really nice flavor, I do not recommend skipping.
- Dairy Free Milk - The creamier the milk the creamier the soup will be, full fat coconut or cashew milk are the best options. Almond milk, oat milk, and others will work as well.
- Veggie broth - make your own homemade version or select your favorite store bought. The amount of salt added to the soup will depend on how salty your vegetable broth is.
- Dairy free cheese sauce - this homemade recipe is made with vegetables such as potato, bell peppers, carrots, onion, and roasted garlic cloves, along with raw cashews and seasonings. Feel free to use your favorite.
- Shredded cheese - pick your favorite dairy free cheddar cheese. This recipe uses 1 cup each of shredded cheese and sauce. Feel free to use 2 cups of one or the other instead.
- Salt & pepper - adjust these to your taste preference. Depending on what cheese and broth you use you may or may not need salt. Taste the soup once it's finished and add in the salt if you need to.
How to Make Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
This dairy free version is just as easy as other cheddar and broccoli soup recipes, maybe even easier! Only 30 minutes stand between you and delicious soup!
- Sauté the veggies in a large pot.
- Add the broth and milk, cover and simmer.
- Stir in the cheese sauce.
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender, spoon into a bowl and dig in!
What to Serve with Vegan Broccoli Soup
To make the absolute best broccoli soup, you need toppings!
- Sprinkle on a little extra cheese
- Top with roasted broccoli
- Green onions
- Crumbled vegan bacon
- Fresh chopped herbs like parsley
Pair this soup with some crusty bread and the following sides:
- Start with just 1 cup of broth and then add in more at the end to reach your desired consistency.
- For a smooth consistency blend everything together.
- If you prefer some chunks, reserve some of the veggies on the side then add them back in after blending.
- If you only need vegetarian broccoli cheddar soup and not vegan, feel free to use your favorite dairy cheese and milk.
Make Ahead and Storage Tips
- You can prep ahead of time by cleaning and cutting the veggies.
- Store them in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days before making the soup.
- Allow the soup to cool to room temperature, then transfer it to an airtight container.
- Place leftover vegan broccoli cheddar soup in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
- You can also freeze this soup for up to 3 months.
- To help prevent against freezer burn you can place a sheet of plastic wrap or parchment paper directly on top of the soup before sealing it in a freezer safe airtight container.
- Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
It can be if it's loaded with lots of cheese and cream. However, there are a number of ways to make it healthier. This recipe uses all whole food, plant based ingredients for a healthy version.
Many times broccoli cheddar soup is made with chicken broth or stock. Make sure to use a vegetable broth to keep your soup vegetarian.
Yes you can! See tips above on the best way to do so.
More Vegan Broccoli Recipes
Broccoli is nutritious and delicious! Get more of it in your life with these plant based recipes:
Easy Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 cup chopped sweet or yellow onion
- ¾ -1 teaspoon sea salt , optional (see note)
- Drizzle of oil or broth to sauté
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups dairy free milk of choice , the creamier the milk the creamier the soup will be
- 1-2 cups veggie broth , low sodium if needed (start with 1 and add more at the end to get the consistency you prefer
- 1 cup dairy free cheese sauce , homemade or store bought
- 1 cup dairy free shredded cheddar cheese , optional for extra cheesy flavor (see note)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
To serve (optional)
- Dairy free shredded cheddar cheese
- Roasted broccoli florets
- Sauté the onions and salt (if using) with oil or broth until soft. About 3-5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and carrots and sauté for 3-4 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the broth and milk, cover and simmer until the carrots and broccoli are soft. About 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese sauce. Once mixed in well, turn off heat.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup to desired texture. You can also put into a blender, being careful not to burn yourself because it is hot.
- Stir in the shredded cheese if using.
- Serve with toppings of choice!
- The salt will depend on the cheese you are using, I suggest adding it at the end if needed.
- If you want to just use cheese sauce and not shredded cheese, then use 2 cups. You can alternatively just use 2 cups shredded cheese.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.