This vegan broccoli cheddar soup is out of this world amazing! It's cheesy, made with healthy whole food ingredients but you wouldn't know it!
I have always loved broccoli cheddar soup but it never left me feeling great. So I knew I had to create my own version that was loved by both my taste buds and belly!
How to Make Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
By skipping the dairy and making this soup with all plant based ingredients it's much healthier and easier on the stomach, without sacrificing any flavor. If you're working on habits like including more healthy meals in your week, this is a great recipe to try! Make up this delicious family friendly meal easily in just 30 minutes!
Step by Step Instructions
- Sauté the veggies.
- Add the broth and milk, cover and simmer.
- Stir in the cheese sauce.
- Purée the soup with an immersion blender.
What to Serve with Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Sprinkle a little extra cheese and roasted broccoli on top! Pair this soup with the following toppings and sides:
- Lemon Kale Salad
- Caesar Salad
- Grek Farro Salad
- Lentil Quinoa Salad
- Loaded Baked Potato
- Gluten-Free Drop Biscuits
- Depending on what cheese you use you may or may not need salt. Taste the soup once it's finished and add in the salt if you need to.
- This recipe uses 1 cup each of shredded cheese and sauce. Feel free to use 2 cups of one or the other.
- The creamier the dairy free milk the creamier the soup will be, full fat coconut or cashew are good options.
- Start with just 1 cup of broth and then add in more at the end to reach your desired consistency.
- You can prep ahead of time by cleaning and cutting the veggies. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days before making the soup.
- Allow the soup to cool to room temperature, then transfer it to an airtight container.
- Place in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
- You can also freeze this soup for up to 3 months.
- Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
It can be if it's loaded with lots of cheese and cream. However, there are a number of ways to make it healthier. This recipe uses all whole food, plant based ingredients for a healthy version.
Many times broccoli cheddar soup is made with chicken broth or stock. Make sure to use a vegetable broth to keep your soup vegetarian.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
Having a wide variety of plant based soup flavors on rotation keeps things interesting, and easy! Try out these other tasty recipes next time:
- Wild Rice Soup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Sausage, Kale, and White Bean Soup
- Corn Chowder
- Potato Leek Soup
- Black Bean Soup
Vegan Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
- 1 cup chopped sweet or yellow onion
- ¾ -1 teaspoon sea salt , optional (see note)
- Drizzle of oil or broth to sauté
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups dairy free milk of choice , the creamier the milk the creamier the soup will be
- 1-2 cups veggie broth , low sodium if needed (start with 1 and add more at the end to get the consistency you prefer
- 1 cup dairy free cheese sauce , homemade or store bought
- 1 cup dairy free shredded cheddar cheese , optional for extra cheesy flavor (see note)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
To serve (optional)
- Dairy free shredded cheddar cheese
- Roasted broccoli florets
- Sauté the onions and salt (if using) with oil or broth until soft. About 3-5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and carrots and sauté for 3-4 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the broth and milk, cover and simmer until the carrots and broccoli are soft. About 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese sauce. Once mixed in well, turn off heat.
- Using an immersion blender, puree soup to desired texture. You can also put into a blender, being careful not to burn yourself because it is hot.
- Stir in the shredded cheese if using.
- Serve with toppings of choice!
- The salt will depend on the cheese you are using, I suggest adding it at the end if needed.
- If you want to just use cheese sauce and not shredded cheese, then use 2 cups. You can alternatively just use 2 cups shredded cheese.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.