This vegan cream of mushroom soup is unreal. The flavor is out of this world and you'll have no idea it's dairy free!
I love creamy soups so much, but my belly always felt so awful after eating them. As soon as I figured out the secret to perfectly creamy, comforting dairy free soups, I was hooked!
My creamy tomato soup came first and has been a huge fan favorite, however my corn chowder and creamy potato soup are close behind. But this dairy free cream of mushroom soup is making it's way up the favorites ladder fast!
How to Make Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
This dairy-free and gluten-free soup gets its velvety smooth texture by blending veggies and cashews together. It's a simple process done in just over 30 minutes!
Step by Step Instructions
- Cook the onions, garlic, and potatoes.
- Add the potato mix into a blender with the cashews, and blend until smooth.
- Sauté the mushrooms with additional onions, then wine, and seasonings.
- Pour the blended soup and broth in with the mushrooms and simmer.
What to Serve with Cream of Mushroom Soup
Garnish the mushroom soup with pepper and lemon juice if you like a little extra flavor. Serve with any of the following toppings or side dishes:
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese
- Mushroom Bacon
- Gluten-Free Drop Biscuits
- Lemon Kale Salad
- Caesar Salad
- Loaded Baked Potato
- Broccoli Cauliflower Veggie Tots
- If you do not have a high-speed blender you can either soak the cashews overnight, boil them for 30 minutes or grind them into a fine powder using a coffee grinder before blending into the soup.
- You can adjust how thick and creamy to make the soup with the amount of cashews. Start with ½ cup, then increase to 1 cup for a richer flavor.
- You can skip the white wine or sherry and substitute with broth instead.
- Thin out the soup by adding more broth.
- Up the nutrition by adding in more veggies like peas, corn, spinach, or green beans.
- Let the soup cool down a bit before storing.
- Pour into an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3-5 days.
- You can also seal the cooled soup in a freezer-safe airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Cream of mushroom soup generally contains milk or cream and mushrooms. The canned, condensed kind is used in many casserole recipes. This version is made from all whole food, plant based ingredients such as mushrooms, potatoes, cashews, and vegetable broth.
Cimini or baby bella mushrooms will add the best flavor, but white mushrooms will also work.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
Cozy up with any of these delicious plant-based soups to keep warm all Fall and Winter long:
- Vegan Sausage, Kale, White Bean Soup
- Potato Leek Soup
- Poblano Corn Chowder
- Black Bean Soup
- Greek Lentil Soup
- Tomato Chickpea Soup
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1 cup chopped sweet or yellow onion
- 1-1 ½ teaspoons sea salt , adjust for your preference
- Drizzle of oil or broth to sauté
- 3 medium cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 cup chopped red or Yukon gold potatoes , or other type you prefer (about 1 medium potato or ⅓ pound)
- 4-5 cups veggie broth , low sodium if needed
- ½-1 cup raw cashews , see note
- 5 cups sliced button mushrooms , crimini work best but white work too (about 1 pound)
- ½ cup white wine or sherry , or sub with broth
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh thyme , add more if you prefer
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice , optional
- Sauté ½ cup of the onions and ½ the salt with oil or broth until just soft. About 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and potatoes and sauté for 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant.
- Add 2 cups of the broth, cover and simmer until the potatoes are soft. About 7-8 minutes.
- Slowly add potato mix into a blender with the cashews, being careful not to burn yourself because it is hot. Blend until smooth.
- Meanwhile, saute the mushrooms, the other ½ cup of onions, wine (or broth), rest of the salt and thyme and a drizzle of oil (if using) until the mushrooms have released their liquid and are softened. About 8-10 minutes.
- Add the blended soup back into the pot with another 2 cups of the broth and mix well. Add more broth if you prefer a thinner texture.
- Bring to a simmer. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Garnish with pepper and lemon juice if preferred and serve!
- If you are not using a high-speed blender you can either soak the cashews overnight, boil them for 30 minutes or grind them into a fine powder using a coffee grinder.
- Adjust the amount of cashews for how creamy you prefer it. ½ cup gives you a good creaminess but 1 cup give a richer flavor.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.