This vegan cream of mushroom soup uses a base of potatoes and cashews to give it that creamy flavor without the dairy. The taste us unreal!
My love for cream based soups runs deep, but so does the pain and bloat after I eat them. But with this secret combo for perfectly creamy, comforting dairy free soups, I can eat without regret!
How to Make Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
This vegan mushroom soup recipe comes together in no time!
- Cook the onions, garlic, and potatoes.
- Add the potato mix into a blender with the cashews, and blend until smooth.
- Sauté the mushrooms with additional onions, then wine, and seasonings.
- Pour the blended soup and broth in with the mushrooms and simmer.
What to Serve with Cream of Mushroom Soup
Garnish the mushroom soup with pepper and lemon juice if you like a little extra flavor. Serve with any of the following toppings or side dishes:
- If you do not have a high-speed blender you need to prepare the cashews.
- Soak the cashews overnight.
- Or boil them for 30 minutes.
- Or grind them into a fine powder (no soaking) using a coffee grinder before blending into the soup.
- You can adjust how thick and creamy this mushroom soup is with the amount of cashews. Start with ½ cup, then increase to 1 cup for a richer flavor.
- Thin out the soup by adding more broth.
- You can skip the white wine or sherry and substitute with broth instead.
- Up the nutrition by adding in more veggies like peas, corn, spinach, or green beans.
- Let the soup cool down a bit before storing.
- Vegan cream of mushroom soup can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
- You can also seal the cooled soup in a freezer-safe airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
Cream of mushroom soup generally contains milk or cream and mushrooms. The canned, condensed kind is used in many casserole recipes. This vegan mushroom soup recipe is made from all whole food, plant based ingredients such as mushrooms, potatoes, cashews, and vegetable broth.
Cimini or baby bella mushrooms will add the best flavor, but white mushrooms will also work.
More Vegan Soup Recipes
Once you've slurped up the last of this vegan cream of mushroom soup, cozy up with any of these delicious plant-based soups to keep warm all Fall and Winter long:
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup chopped sweet or yellow onion
- 1-1 ½ teaspoons sea salt , adjust for your preference
- Drizzle of oil or broth to sauté
- 3 medium cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 cup chopped red or Yukon gold potatoes , or other type you prefer (about 1 medium potato or ⅓ pound)
- 4-5 cups veggie broth , low sodium if needed
- ½-1 cup raw cashews , see note
- 5 cups sliced button mushrooms , crimini work best but white work too (about 1 pound)
- ½ cup white wine or sherry , or sub with broth
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh thyme , add more if you prefer
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons lemon juice , optional
- Sauté ½ cup of the onions and ½ the salt with oil or broth until just soft. About 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and potatoes and sauté for 1-2 minutes until garlic is fragrant.
- Add 2 cups of the broth, cover and simmer until the potatoes are soft. About 7-8 minutes.
- Slowly add potato mix into a blender with the cashews, being careful not to burn yourself because it is hot. Blend until smooth.
- Meanwhile, saute the mushrooms, the other ½ cup of onions, wine (or broth), rest of the salt and thyme and a drizzle of oil (if using) until the mushrooms have released their liquid and are softened. About 8-10 minutes.
- Add the blended soup back into the pot with another 2 cups of the broth and mix well. Add more broth if you prefer a thinner texture.
- Bring to a simmer. Taste and add more salt if needed.
- Garnish with pepper and lemon juice if preferred and serve!
- If you are not using a high-speed blender you can either soak the cashews overnight, boil them for 30 minutes or grind them into a fine powder using a coffee grinder.
- Adjust the amount of cashews for how creamy you prefer it. ½ cup gives you a good creaminess but 1 cup give a richer flavor.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.