Fluffy, perfectly textured vegan gluten free apple muffins that are so delicious and easy to make you won't be able to get enough! Healthy and made with simple whole food ingredients.
These are the best apple muffins out there! Perfect for breakfast, snack or a healthy dessert.
This post was originally published on August 29, 2020.
These vegan apple cinnamon muffins are perfect as a breakfast, snack or even dessert. The flavor is incredible and the texture will leave you shocked, you won't believe they are vegan and gluten-free! If you love these, you should most definitely try my vegan banana muffins too!
In order to make these apple muffins vegan and gluten free I needed to find a way to substitute the milk, eggs, butter, and all purpose flour. With a bit of creativity I was able to make these quick and easy muffins with all plant based ingredients! And, because I love simplicity, the fanciest piece of equipment you need for this recipe is a muffin tin, no mixer required!
The ingredients in this recipe are also simple, easy to find and whole food based. They also don't include any dairy or gluten!
- Apple sauce
- Dairy free milk
- Maple syrup
- Oat flour
- Almond flour
- Baking powder
- Apple cider vinegar
How to Make Vegan Apple Muffins
Gone are the days of spending hours upon hours baking delicious homemade muffins, these gluten free apple muffins are ready start to finish in only 30 minutes! Here's what you'll need to do for this easy recipe:
- Mix up the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the wet ingredients.
- Fold in the apples.
- Pour into the muffin tin and add toppings.
- Bake, cool, enjoy!
For best results when making this vegan apple muffin recipe, keep the following in mind:
- Make sure to peel your apples, no one wants skin in their muffins! The easiest way to do this is using a vegetable peeler.
- When chopping the apples, try to keep the pieces a uniform size, that way they'll cook evenly.
- If you're not using muffin tin liners make sure to prepare the pan. I prefer to use some coconut oil spray to coat the tin so the muffins don't stick.
- For the best texture you need accuracy with the flours, especially when making gluten free apple muffins. Which is why I include precise weights. If you don’t have a scale, then you can purchase this fairly inexpensive one.
- If you prefer to measure, then measure the flours by scooping your measuring cup into the flour versus spooning it into it. This is how I measured when getting my weights.
If you're a plain Jane, these vegan apple cinnamon muffins are perfectly delicious all on their own. However, if you're an elaborate Janet and want to dress them up here's some optional topping ideas:
- Sliced apples
- Coconut sugar
How to Store Apple Muffins
- Allow the muffins to cool completely before storing.
- Place in an airtight storage container or zippered bag.
- Keep at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.
- You can also refrigerate them for up to 7 days.
- Or, store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Reheat the apple muffins in the microwave for about 15-30 seconds for a warm treat!
Choosing the type of apple to use is a personal preference. Granny Smith apples are best. If you want a sweeter result, use a sweeter apple like a Fuji or Gala.
Some are juicier than others so they may release more liquid as they bake. Since the texture of baked goods relies heavily on ratio of liquid to dry, dab your chopped apples with a paper towel if they release too much liquid as you chop.
This recipe goes to show, yes you can! Applesauce adds wonderful moisture to muffins. It also helps to sweeten the flavor so you can avoid refined sugar!
It depends on the recipe you use. Muffins that contain a lot of oils or refined sugars are not healthy. Because this recipe avoids those ingredients, it's a healthy alternative to your standard muffin.
Yes! You can freeze for up to 3 months. For best results, wrap each cooled muffin in foil or freezer wrap before sealing in a freezer safe bag or container.
Frozen muffins can be thawed on the counter. Or, place unwrapped muffin on a plate and microwave for 30 seconds. You can also wrap in foil and bake at 350° F / 177° C for 10-15 minutes.
More Vegan Apple Recipes
If you love this healthy vegan apple muffins recipe and want to bake more with apples, here are some other gluten free, eggless, dairy free ideas!
The Best Healthy Vegan Apple Muffins
- 24 long slices of apple
- 8 teaspoons coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F/ 175 C.
- Put flours, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Whisk well to remove clumps and combine.
- Make a well in the middle and add milk, apple sauce, maple syrup and apple cider vinegar.
- Stir to get everything mixed well.
- Add apples and fold in.
- Pour into a prepared muffin tin (I use a little coconut oil spray and rub it around).
- If using toppings, sprinkle on the sugar and place the sliced apples in (see photos).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Until they are just browning on the edges and a toothpick comes out dry with crumbs on it.
- The topping is optional but makes a pretty end result. You can use one or the other or both.
- Nutrition facts don't include the optional toppings.
Recipe by Veggies Don’t Bite, visit our site for more great plant-based recipes.